Epson R2400 off-center in bordeless mode

Questions on certain printers and applications
mahdi1234

Epson R2400 off-center in bordeless mode

Post by mahdi1234 »

hi there,

As happy 1.9.3 user i gave a shot to the 2.1.17 (on gentoo). One thing which doesn't work well for me and which *worked_fine* in 1.9 is centering using borderless printing.

I've tried A4 Epson Premium Glossy Photo paper using borderless option which resulted in white strip of 4mm on top and 7mm on bottom, where I would expect to be the same for both sides i.e. 5.5mm - is there some way how to fix this?

PS - this is with "Borderless Expand" set to 1%; when set to 2% it's still off (3mm vs 5mm on bottom) so changing this doesn't affect behavior.

thanks,
mahdi
zedonet
Site Admin

Re: Epson R2400 off-center in bordeless mode

Post by zedonet »

Hello,

the borderless mode has been revised in TurboPrint 2.x.

In TurboPrint 1.x borderless page size was defined a bit larger than regular page size (page area + overprint area) and there was no automatic scaling available to make pages borderless - it was necessary to resize the page content in the document to get real borderless prints. Also it was difficult to center the image, as the overprint area at the bottom of the page is larger than at the other edges.

In TurboPrint 2.x borderless page size is the same as regular page size and you can choose a "Borderless Expand" percentage.

From which application did you print?

We recommend GIMP with the GIMP-"TurboPrint..." print plugin. Simply choose a borderless page size (e.g. "A4 borderless"), then press the button "Borderless image size" to scale and align the image. This should result in perfectly aligned prints.
mahdi1234

Post by mahdi1234 »

Thanks for prompt reply, I got the point with borderless in v2 now.

I'm not in favor of Gimp for several reasons (e.g. batch printing, donwsampling 16bit images etc). I'm using gtklp for printing, which is gui front-end to cups.

Though after some playing around I was able to fix this. I had to create new custom page size, now all my prints are spot-on.

Just in case this was helpful these are the figures:

Code: Select all

Type: borderless
width: 21.00cm
height: 29.78cm (not sure why .8 extra mm was required to A4 standard, but without that there was small white strip on one side, even centering with gimp)
zoom: 100%
offset: 0

when printing select 0% "Borderless Expand"
cheers,
mahdi
zedonet
Site Admin

Post by zedonet »

Thank you for the information - I will check the driver. Maybe this is just "hardware tolerance".