Canon Pixma IP4000 - printing problem

Questions on certain printers and applications
fruzsina

Canon Pixma IP4000 - printing problem

Post by fruzsina »

Hi,

I have encountered a new phenomenon in Turboprint, which I cannot explain and would need help.

I have Opensuse 11.4 kernel 2.6.38.2

Turboprint 2.16-2

There are 2 users on the Linux Box. For user A everzthing works fine w/o any issues.
For user B however strange things are going on:

When printing a "demo page A4 size" I get a roughly 10*15 cm size printout exacly as shown in the preview window:
Screenshot1
Screenshot1
p1.png (138.84 KiB) Viewed 6394 times

My page settings are as follows:
Screenshot2
Screenshot2
p2.png (99.14 KiB) Viewed 6394 times

so it should be correct. I have Plain paper and Medium quality selected.
Now comes the funny thing. If I switch on "preview jobs" the preview is correct:
Screenshot3
Screenshot3
p3.png (210.28 KiB) Viewed 6394 times

Accepting the preview now results in a seemingly correct page view in the monitor area (See screenshot in next post), however the actual printout remains the same as before, which is the layout shown in the first screenshot.

Here is what I tried so far without any success:
- delete the printer, stop cups, start cups, recreate the printer, restart cups.
- delete the whole .turboprint directory tree, restart cups

Does anyone have any idea what might help here? What do I need to delete to reset the whole thing as it obviously something with some settings, as with the other user everything works as expected.

Thanks in advance,
Fruzsina
Last edited by fruzsina on Mon Apr 11, 2011 8:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
fruzsina

Re: Canon Pixma IP4000

Post by fruzsina »

Here is the last screenshot:
Screenshot4
Screenshot4
p4.png (175.37 KiB) Viewed 6393 times
zedonet
Site Admin

Re: Canon Pixma IP4000 - printing problem

Post by zedonet »

Hello,

there might be something wrong with user printer settings.

The relevant user settings are maintained by the CUPS printing system and stored in

~/.cups/lpoptions

You can view / modify them also from a terminal window using the command

lpoptions -p printername

I suggest to remove all page size settings by entering the following commands

lpoptions -p <printername> -r media
lpoptions -p <printername> -r PageSize
lpoptions -p <printername> -r PageRegion
fruzsina

Post by fruzsina »

Hi,

thanks for the tip it did work for fixing the demo page. However here comes the next trouble :)

I print a simple document from LibreOffice. The first page comes out correctly, however subsequent pages start to screw up by seemingly repeating content from the first page.

This is what the Printer Monitor shows when printing the third page:
Screenshot5
Screenshot5
p5.png (203.87 KiB) Viewed 6385 times
This image is the actual view of the first three pages:
Shot of the first 3 pages
Shot of the first 3 pages
DSC_1656.JPG (232.83 KiB) Viewed 6385 times
The first page comes out quite fast, while the second and subsequent pages come slow, it seems that the printer switches from printing text to printing graphics, I don't know. Anyway this does not only happen with LibreOffice all applications printing multiple pages exhibit the same behavior.

Here's the output of my lpoptions, it might be helpful tracking this down:

fru@nappali:~> lpoptions -p tp0
auth-info-required=none columns=1 copies=1 cpi=10 device-uri=tpu://Canon/iP4000 finishings=3 InputSlot=ButtonSelect job-hold-until=no-hold job-priority=50 job-sheets=none,none lpi=6 marker-change-time=0 MediaType=Plainpaper_4 number-up=1 printer-commands=AutoConfigure,Clean,PrintSelfTestPage printer-info=Canon_PIXMA_iP4000 printer-is-accepting-jobs=true printer-is-shared=true printer-location printer-make-and-model='Canon_PIXMA_iP4000 TurboPrint' printer-state=3 printer-state-change-time=1302628933 printer-state-reasons=none printer-type=8540252 printer-uri-supported=ipp://localhost:631/printers/tp0 Resolution=600x600dpi sides=one-sided zedoAdjustC=0 zedoAdjustK=0 zedoAdjustM=0 zedoAdjustY=0 zedoBorderlessExpand=2 zedoBrightC=0 zedoBrightM=0 zedoBrightness=0 zedoCMYKspace=0 zedoColorModel=RGB zedoColorspace=0 zedoContrast=0 zedoDithering=ErrorDiffusion zedoDuplexAdjust=0 zedoDuplexadvanced=auto zedoGamut=0 zedoGreyToneA=0 zedoGreyToneB=0 zedoInklimitC=0 zedoInklimitK=0 zedoInklimitM=0 zedoInklimitY=0 zedoIntensity=0 zedoIntent=perception_0 zedoMirror=0 zedoPreview=preview-off zedoRefLight=65 zedoTAC=0 zedoUCR=0 zedoUserColor=0

This story started after upgrading from Opensuse 11.3 to 11.4 again just a possible clue.

Thanks,
Fruzsina
zedonet
Site Admin

Post by zedonet »

Hello,

this sounds like a known problem:

the linux phostscript interpreter "ghostscript" doesn't always clear the page buffer properly.
TurboPrint version 2.17-1 or higher contains a workaround for this problem.
fruzsina

Post by fruzsina »

Hi,

thanks for the info. I will go that way.

Regards,
Fruzsina