Canon IP90 & Ubuntu 10.04

Questions on certain printers and applications
woollywormhead

Canon IP90 & Ubuntu 10.04

Post by woollywormhead »

Having purchased the licensed copy today to make use of the higher resolutions available, I've encountered two problems:

1) even though I set the printer settings through the TP Control panel, whenever I try to print a high res PDF through Adobe, it only ever gives me the options of 'automatic' or '600x600' for printing. The 'automatic' setting produces a quick and sketchy print and the 600x600 isn't good enough for print quality. Interestingly, the options Adobe gives me are through TP, and they're the same as I got with the trial version - it's as if they haven't upgraded with the keyfile.

2) viewing the PDF in the inbuilt Document Viewer does allow control over the resolution and will print at much higher quality, and with much better colours, but the page feed is all wonky - every setting knows it's an A4 page yet it prints offset, at least 2.5cm lower in the page, and the bottom of the document is lost. Doesn't matter if it's borderless or not, the result is the same.

Are there any solutions to this? Both PDF viewers aren't working correctly and I've not found a way yet of getting a good quality print.

Thanks in advance!
http://www.woollywormhead.com
woollywormhead

Re: Canon IP90 & Ubuntu 10.04

Post by woollywormhead »

So I thought I'd try opening the PDF in Gimp, and printing from there. Not ideal to turn everything into a raster image but worth a try!

And it does exactly the same as the Document Viewer - offsets the page by 2.5 or 3cm and loses the bottom of the page. Frustrating!

Gimp worked directly from the TP settings, so this is something in there that isn't quite working right...
zedonet
Site Admin

Post by zedonet »

Hello,

1) which version of Adobe Reader do you use? Adobe Reader 9 or higher allows to set the print resolution (print dialog -> settings -> "Print Quality")

2) this sounds like a mismatch between document page size (A4) and print dialog settings (Letter).

Please try the following:

- Open TurboPrint Monitor and enable print preview.
- Then open a PDF document in Ubuntu Document Viewer.
- In the print dialog, tab "Page Setup" make sure that "Paper size" is set to "A4" and print.
- When the TurboPrint print preview comes up, check if the "Settings" field contains "Page Size=A4".

If there are still problems, please let me know.
woollywormhead

Post by woollywormhead »

Hi, thanks for your reply,
1) which version of Adobe Reader do you use? Adobe Reader 9 or higher allows to set the print resolution (print dialog -> settings -> "Print Quality")
I'm using Adobe v.9.4.2 - it does allow the print resolution to be set, but as I said previously, it won't allow a setting above 600x600, which is too low for a good quality print, and it ignores all the settings I've set in TurboPrint Control.

Basically, Adobe is only giving me the options I had in the trial version (600x600 was the max. res for the IP90 in the trial), and doesn't recognise the extras of the full version.

2) this sounds like a mismatch between document page size (A4) and print dialog settings (Letter).

Please try the following:

- Open TurboPrint Monitor and enable print preview.
- Then open a PDF document in Ubuntu Document Viewer.
- In the print dialog, tab "Page Setup" make sure that "Paper size" is set to "A4" and print.
- When the TurboPrint print preview comes up, check if the "Settings" field contains "Page Size=A4".
The Page Preview is enabled, it does preview at A4 and the settings field does contain A4 - it still offsets by 2 or 3 cm.

Even if I try to print a Letter sized PDF file on A4 paper (which Adobe would normally centre) it still offsets in Document Viewer, only by the extra amount to compensate for the smaller page size. It knows which is which but doesn't feed correctly.

Still no joy, I'm afraid.
zedonet
Site Admin

Post by zedonet »

On my system (Ubuntu 10.04, Adobe Reader 9.3) the quality options are present:
screenshot-adobereader.png
screenshot-adobereader.png (86.55 KiB) Viewed 6097 times
(some texts are in German as this is the German localization of Adobe Reader).

About the print offset: is the displacement also visible in print preview?
woollywormhead

Post by woollywormhead »

Sorry for the delay in replying, I've been away.

With some fiddling around with Adobe, the correct printing resolutions are now showing. I'm not sure what the issue was exactly, but somehow the PDF reader appears installed twice, and maybe there was a conflict there. I have tried to uninstall one of them, but they won't budge (it got installed a 2nd time in a previous version of Ubuntu when I tried to make Adobe the primary reader and has stuck ever since)
About the print offset: is the displacement also visible in print preview?
Nope, the print preview looks exactly as it should. I haven't had a chance to play with this any more as I had to get everything ready for my trip, and it's a shame I couldn't get this working before I left as it was sorely needed!