Problems with gutenprint 5.2.10 and Turboprint

Other questions
broadstairs

Problems with gutenprint 5.2.10 and Turboprint

Post by broadstairs »

Recently a new version of gutenprint was released which supports the Canon Selphy range of printers. I installed this new release on my Fedora test system which does not have TP installed. The install went OK and I was able to set up the CP900 and run a test print perfectly. So I decided to install the same gutenprint release on my live system where TP was installed. The install went OK however I was unable to add the CP900 as it kept coming up with a tpu: connection which wont work. Nothing I tried seemed to work so I removed TP from the system. Now add printer find the correct usb connection for the printer but still fails with an error trying to copy the ppd file. CUPS is 1.7.3 and gutenprint is 5.2.10 by the way running on Fedora x86_64

So I guess I have a few questions.

1. Does TP work with gutenprint 5.2.10
2. Why does the add printer dialog come up with a tpu: connection when TP does not support this printer?
3. Does TP do anything to CUPS or gutenprint which is not properly removed when removing TP?

Stuart
zedonet
Site Admin

Re: Problems with gutenprint 5.2.10 and Turboprint

Post by zedonet »

Hello,

TurboPrint and Gutenprint generally do not affect each other.

The problem in your case seems to be the TurboPrint USB printer port backend "tpu" which is an alternative version of the standard Linux USB printer backend named "usb". The TurboPrint backend supports printer status report and ink level display during printing.

I am not sure why the gutenprint driver cannot be installed while the tpu backend is present - this problem has not been reported before.

A workaround might be to remove the file "tpu" from the directory /usr/lib/cups/backend (or /usr/lib64/cups/backend), then set up the gutenprint driver and then add the file again.

After uninstallation of TurboPrint only two configuration files will remain in the directory /etc/turboprint (will not affect gutenprint or any other component of Linux). It is necessary to keep these configuration files because upgrading under Linux works internally as uninstallation followed by reinstallation.
broadstairs

Post by broadstairs »

Well I've not been able to solve this as yet. I have removed TP and then the correct usb: connection was accepted however once I try to finalise the add printer I still get an error. So I copied over the ppd file created on my test system and have been able to complete the printer install but still it does not actually print. It is just puzzling me that on the test system which was up to date the install went perfectly and a test print was produced OK but on my live system it fails - the only difference I can see is that this system had TP installed.. The new gutenprint does provide a special backend called canonselphy which has to be used for all Selphy printers.

Stuart
zedonet
Site Admin

Post by zedonet »

I have no expanation yet. TurboPrint does not reconfigure CUPS in any way - except adding two backends (tpu for usb and - if not already present - bjnp for Canon network printers) and the filters (commandtoturboprint and pstoturboprint) that perform conversion from PS/PDF print jobs to printer command language.
broadstairs

Post by broadstairs »

Well right now I have another issue with only being able to print 1 image before having to restart CUPS and this is on the so called working system. One I have it working there I'll come back to the TP system and try to debug that. I'll let you know what happens later.

Stuart