Network Problems

Other questions
rusty2

1.95 in Kubuntu

Post by rusty2 »

Good Morning;

I have attempted to install 1.95 in Kubuntu 7.04 and it installs properly, and recognizes my keyfile OK. I use the socket method XXX.XXX.XXX.XXX:9101 etc. and when install is finished, upon selecting to print a testpage, it comes back and says that the system is busy...not accurate as using another HD with Xandros 4 or yet another HD with OpenSuse 10.2, it prints just fine. (Using , If I remember correctly, v. 1.92 or 1.94).

I wonder if there is a conflict with the new Kubuntu 7.04 and 1.95 which has not surfaced yet? (I'm using a wireless print server).

Thanks
zedonet
Site Admin

Post by zedonet »

Hello,

with (k)ubuntu 7.04 only USB problems are known - network printing should work fine.

Does a ping from this computer to your print server work

ping xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx

should report reply times until you press ctrl+c.

You could also post the log files /var/log/turboprint_cups.log and /var/log/cups/error_log (only section for last printout).
rusty2

Re Kubuntu 7.04 and Turboprint

Post by rusty2 »

Ah, would that I could. In looking at /var/log/ there is no turboprint_cups.log file. In the error.log there are a series of statements that ..."cups add-modify (etc) unauthorized...." and they fill the page.

When attempting to print a test page, a message comes up that the network address xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx is busy, will try again in 5 and then 10 seconds, etc.

I unenable the print attempt, start again, and the same thing happens.

Upon a cold boot, after shutting down either for 10 seconds or overnight, the printer will print the file that was sent to it previously, at the time that the desktop begins to come up.

I believe that I stated that on an 8 gig HD, with this Kubuntu 7.04 using the entire HD, printing is flawless. But on both 320 Gig files with Win2K on hd0,0 and Kubuntu 7.04 on the remainder of the HD, this problem comes up.

I think that I will wipe one of the 320 G HDs, and install this Kubuntu 7.04 on that entire drive to run an experiment with this. But, if you say that the turboprint_cups.log should be there and it isn't does anything immediately come to your mind?

Thanks
zedonet
Site Admin

Post by zedonet »

If there is no /var/log/turboprint_cups.log please create an empty one that is writeable for everyone. If the file is still empty after trying to print, make sure that the printer entry in TurboPrint Setup is "started" and "accepting" print jobs.
zedonet
Site Admin

Problem solved

Post by zedonet »

rusty2 reports:

"I have fixed the problem. It was operator error.

Running Kubuntu and using KnetworkManager, I neglected all this time to set the gateway address properly for my eth0 and my ath0 wireless settings. I presume because the eth0 and the ath0 ports were finding their way properly for other operations such as web usage.

I use a WinProxy setup here connecting several machines for web access only. Of course Turboprint couldn't reach my gateway address as no gateway address was available for it to see. Strange....that the system could get through the gateway address, though, to get on the ISP's system.
The wireless printing setup uses a Linksys printer server connected by Linksys USB ports on Windows 2000. Each port on each machine transmits by USB connection antennas to the server. But when on Linux, the printed data goes either to a switch directly, and to the gateway machine, which then prints through the connected USB antenna to the printserver, OR goes
to a wireless router, then to the switch, and then prints like the previous description."