Installation Stopped Working

Other questions
wacole

Installation Stopped Working

Post by wacole »

I have been using Turboprint on my Ubuntu installation for a couple of years and it has been working just fine.

I have a Canon S600 attached to the parallel port on the Ubuntu computer as tp0. I wanted to attach it as a network printer (the S600 has two ports: a parallel and a USB) through the print server that is connected to the USB port. So, following the instructions on the Turboprint web site manual, I created a second entry, tp1, which pointed to the print server and its port.

To make a long story short, the result of this action was to break the already working local parallel port connection while not allowing access to the USB port; the printer is not seen by the system. I know this because the printer icon that Ubuntu displays when it passes a print file to the print spooler doesn't show, even though the application gives the impression that printing has completed properly.

I would be grateful for clues as to what I need to look at to fix this. [If it makes any difference, I start the Turboprint setup tool with a gksudo command.]

Thanks very much,
Bill Cole
zedonet
Site Admin

Post by zedonet »

Hello,

one possible explanation is that the parallel port is blocked while the printer is connected via USB to the print server.

If this is not the reason please inspect the log files /var/log/cups/error_log and /var/log/turboprint_cups.log - you may post the section from the last print job.
wacole

Post by wacole »

Thank you very much for the reply.

At present I only have the local parallel port connected to the S600, so the possible issue of conflicting port use is moot.

As you suggested I looked at the /var/log/cups/error_log. It has some 4500 lines, all dated today, December 4, [with different times] and all saying:
cupsdAuthorize: Local authentication certificate not found!

I also looked at the /var/log/turboprint_cups.log file. It is empty.

BTW, I did a search on "Local authentication certificate not found!" on the Ubuntu forums and see that others are having the same problem with Turboprint. It is possible that the Dapper version of Ubuntu and Canon printers are not liking one another.
Bill Cole
zedonet
Site Admin

Post by zedonet »

I don't think that the error "Local authentication certificate not found!" is related to TurboPrint - this error message is reported in forums for all kinds of drivers.

You can try two things:

1. Create a CUPSD certificate (as reported by another customer) with the command :

Code: Select all

'openssl req -new -x509 -keyout /etc/cups/ssl/server.key -out /etc/cups/ssl/server.crt -days 365 -nodes'
2. Update to the current version of CUPS (a fix for the certificate problem appears in the version history of CUPS)

Please let me know if this helps.
wacole

Post by wacole »

Thanks very much for the lead. I did notice in another forum (I forget which) that installing the upgrade of Turboprint (I'm currently running 1.94-2) fixed this particular problem. I tried that and it worked; so we are back to normal. Thanks again.
Bill Cole