Copying existing settings to a new Mac

Questions on installation
Wills

Copying existing settings to a new Mac

Post by Wills »

Is there a process to transfer an existing installed PrintFab to to a new Mac without having to recreate the profiles
William Wilson Photography

http://www.williamwilsonphotography.co.uk/blog/
zedonet
Site Admin

Re: Copying existing settings to a new Mac

Post by zedonet »

Hello,

there is currently no such option in the user interface, however you can do it manually:

Copy the folder "/applications/.printfab/profiles" from your old Mac to your new Mac.

This is a system folder that is not visible form the finder. Select the menu entry "Go" -> "Go to folder..." from the finder pulldown menu and enter "/applications/.printfab". Then click on the folder "profiles" and select "Compress" in the finder to create a ZIP archive.

Copy "profiles.zip" to your new computer - use the finder command "Go to folder..." to open "/applications/.printfab" and drop "profiles.zip" into the finder window. Then double click on "profiles.zip" to expand the archive again. Please note that this will overwrite current profile entries.

Now the profiles should be visible in PrintFab Toolbox.
Wills

Post by Wills »

I have bought a new mac with El Capitan installed and wanted to use Printfab I downloaded a demo copy v2.7 and copied the profiles from the old machine I tried Printfab on to save me time and the profiles do not appear in the Printfab Toolbox there are no profiles showing. Is this a bug or no longer an option as I'm looking to buy PrintFab.
William Wilson Photography

http://www.williamwilsonphotography.co.uk/blog/
zedonet
Site Admin

Post by zedonet »

The paths are different for PrintFab 2.7 or higher (for El Capitan you need PrintFab 2.8 ):

Instead of

/applications/.printfab/profiles

the location is

/library/application support/printfab/profiles

It is important that the print queue name is the same so that the profiles can be assigned correctly to your printer.