Creating Screen Printing Films (Canon Pixma ix6820)

New section - illustrated instructions
krink

Creating Screen Printing Films (Canon Pixma ix6820)

Post by krink »

Hello so i tried a couple of different settings and still i am not getting dark enough films for screen printing with the Canon pixma ix6820.
the best setting so far is transparent as media, and 130% brightness with greyscale mode on (the same settings as in the instructional video on youtube). It's almost there but it needs more black ink / opaque. when i try printing without printfab i get really dark film positives but they are a bit pixelated

what else can i try or do? any help is appreciated! thank you
zedonet
Site Admin

Re: Not getting dark films for Canon Pixma ix6820

Post by zedonet »

Hello,

the following PrintFab settings should be made for screen printing:

printfab-ix6800-screenprinting-1.PNG
printfab-ix6800-screenprinting-1.PNG (40.07 KiB) Viewed 8437 times
printfab-ix6800-screenprinting-2.PNG
printfab-ix6800-screenprinting-2.PNG (37.9 KiB) Viewed 8437 times

The "Special settings screen printings" are only available in the version PrintFab Pro XL. If this option is missing in your trial version, I can send you a test license.

If the print is still not dark enough, there are vendors of special ink with better UV blocking and of ink sets that also replace C+M+Y inks by black for better ink coverage. We have a cooperation with the company FilmDirect: http://www.filmdirectonline.com/canon-ix6820-13x19-film-output-solution

If you want to print solid black but are getting halftone instead, the following is important:

- Don't set the "Contrast" slider below 100% (instead use the "Brightness" slider to adjust the transfer curve).

- In the application's print dialog, enable "Separations" and select the color that you want to print (available in applications like PhotoShop, CorelDraw, Illustrator, Indesign).
krink

Re: Not getting dark films for Canon Pixma ix6820

Post by krink »

wow thank you so much!!! just tried these settings and it improved it a lot!!!
gaSignGuy

Re: Creating Screen Printing Films (Canon Pixma ix6820)

Post by gaSignGuy »

I'm not able to access the same settings posted above. I only found one download link on your page, so I can only assume its XL, no?
zedonet
Site Admin

Post by zedonet »

Hello gaSignGuy,

the screen printing options are only available in the Pro XL license. Note that the 30-day-trial version always installs as Pro XL on macOS. When activating a license keyfile like "Pro" or "Home", these options are removed.
gaSignGuy

Post by gaSignGuy »

I had to reinstall Printfab onto my computer and I went through the process of setting everything up again and now I'm having some issues. Whenever I print a spot color, it's printing as dots. It's close to opaque, but not entirely. Also, It started to fade slightly at the top of the prints. It seems like whenever there is some space between the design, the next element that prints is faded at the very top.
Attachments
Screen Shot 2023-07-18 at 2.19.11 PM.png
Screen Shot 2023-07-18 at 2.19.11 PM.png (153.25 KiB) Viewed 4418 times
zedonet
Site Admin

Post by zedonet »

Hello,

if solid black is printed with visible halftoning (visible dots), please make sure that you enable "Separations" in the application and that you set the "Contrast" setting in the print dialog (PrintFab Settings -> tab "Main") to the default of 100%).

Regarding enabling "Separations" in the application's print dialog, please read this article

https://www.zedonet.com/en_support_silkscreen.phtml

About the faded elements - there might be a problem with clogged print head nozzles or a problem with ink supply not properly working (we sometimes observed this with non-Canon ink cartridges).
I recommend to print a "Nozzle test" page from PrintFab Toolbox to verify that all ink patterns are solid visible.