turboprint daemon crashes

MadEgg

turboprint daemon crashes

Post by MadEgg »

I have just purchased the Turbuprint Family license for my new Canon PIXMA iP4600 printer. The printer is now attached to my router and I have set it up as an LPR printer on my router.

While the print quality is fine, quite often while halfway printing a photo the TurboPrint Printer Monitor shows a message 'No connection to TurboPrint daemon'. The result is that the current job is aborted and the printer spits out a half printed photopaper, quite the wast. After that, the printer takes a new photo paper and prints again with completely messed up colors. So another paper down the drain.

This is on Ubuntu 9.04. If any information can be of help to fix this problem, please let me now and I'll do my best to provide it.

And I have short question. I can only select 4''x6'' photo paper while I have 10x15 cm photo paper. Now I checked this out on Google and this is the result:

4 inch = 10,16 cm
6 inch = 15,24 cm

So the printer will think the paper is larger than it actually is. Will this not result in ink being sprayed inside the printer when printing borderless?
zedonet
Site Admin

Post by zedonet »

Hello MadEgg,

the TurboPrint daemon is responsible for retrieving printer status and ink levels. However it does not interact with the printing process at all - printing works even without the TurboPrint daemon.
The message "no connection to TurboPrint daemon" says that the daemon was stopped and no status information can be shown. Printing should work anyway.
Your problem may be caused by an instable LPR connection. Most routers also support the "Socket/Jetdirect" protocol. I suggest to add another printer driver instance with this network protocol. It should be much more reliable then.
Probably the TurboPrint daemon quits when the LPR connection is disrupted.