Ethernet Connection Error

jstratos

Ethernet Connection Error

Post by jstratos »

Found your site online and downloaded your software. After installing on my MAC OS X.4.11 everything ran according to your install instructions.

My print page went to the Que but an error message received was " Can't Print ... Connection is busy".

I read your troubleshooting page and it is suggesting I use a USB connection for my Epson Color Stylus 3000 Printer?

I'm running my printer on an Ethernet connection to a hub, so that I can share the printer with my PC laptop... both connect to the hub.

Is there a work around for this or am I missing something?

Jim
zedonet
Site Admin

Post by zedonet »

Hello,

there seems to be a network communication problem.

First you have to determine the printer's IP address. If your Stylus Color 3000 has Epson's network module, there is a button next to the network cable. By pressing the button you can print a network information page that also contains the IP address (four numbers separated by dots like "192.168.17.33").

Then try to "ping" the printer from your Mac. Open a terminal window (Applications -> Utilities -> Terminal) and enter

ping <ip-addres>

e.g.

ping 192.168.17.33

followed by the “Enter” key. After some seconds cancel by holding the “Ctrl” key and pressing “C” to stop the output. Ping will print “0% packet loss” if the connection is successful or “100% packet loss” if the printer cannot be reached. Check your network settings in this case – your printer's IP address may have to be adapted to the address range of your network.

The address range is visible in OS X System Configuration.
E.g. if the "net mask" is "255.255.255.0" the first three numbers of your computer's ip address must be identical to the printer's ip address.
If that is not the case you must either change your printer's or your computer's IP address. For the printer there is a utility software that came with your printer (may work under OS9 and MS Windows only). If you have to change your computer's IP address make sure that other network devices can still be reached.

Finally set up the PrintFab driver in OS X System Configuration (see also the PrintFab PDF manual, page 23):

Choose "IP" printer, protocol "Line Printer Daemon - LPD". In the field "Address" enter the IP address, in the field "Queue" enter "lp". In the search field enter "Epson printfab" and choose the driver "Epson_StylusColor3000 PrintFab".
jstratos

IP Address

Post by jstratos »

Ok, I see what you are saying.

The IP address for the printer is 11.22.33.44 and the IP address of my built-in-Ethernet connection is 192.168.30.800. There is also an IP address for the router 192.168.30.8.

The ping ONLY responded successfully to the ROUTER'S IP address?

So it looks like I'll have to change the printer's IP address to include atleast the first three fields of my ethernet IP (i.e., 192.168.30.500).

I'll have to go into Classic 9 mode to see if I can change that.

Correct?
jstratos

Still Problems...

Post by jstratos »

So, I managed to change the IP Address as outlined in your posts and the printer is NOW working... PING was also successful.

Problem is that I still can't get good PostScript quality as I was getting under the OS 9 system. Graphics are NOT clean and smooth using this tool.

I tried disabling Ghostscript interpreter and it still did not improve?

Any ideas?
zedonet
Site Admin

Post by zedonet »

Are fonts / lines not sharp or is the image too "noisy" (dithering not smooth)?

If color accuracy is already okay I can suggest the following:

- switch to unidirectional printing (print dialog -> "Printer Settings": "Print direction" = "Unidirectional"

- use a high print quality - 1440dpi or 2880dpi

- switch from "CMYK proof" to "CMYK proof (mixblack)" (print dialog -> "PrintFab settings" -> "Color": "Mode"="CMYK proof (mixblack)"
jstratos

That's it...

Post by jstratos »

It did the trick... symptoms were as you had guessed.

I'll save those printer setting as a permanent profile.

Thanks for all your help!

Jim