Support for non Intel/AMD architectures

MrE

Support for non Intel/AMD architectures

Post by MrE »

Hi,

I would like to request support for non-i386 architechtures.

I'm using the ARM-based Linksys NSLU2 running Debian Lenny as my CUPS print server (I use a desktop, laptop, Eee PC (all three on Linux) and a PPC iMac running OS X Tiger and got fed up with constantly having to plug the USB cable over).

I recently bought a Canon Pixma iP4200 and was advised by a friend of mine to download and install TurboPrint as this would provide me with all the features for my printer. To my disappointment however TurboPrint is only available for Intel and AMD processors.

There are lots of people out there who use devices like the NSLU2 as their print server, for such devices take up a fraction of the space needed for a PC based print server, are highly energy efficient and are completely silent.

I noticed that on the German forum this question was asked way back in February 2007 and the answer in May 2007 was that this could eventually be a possibility in the future.
It is now almost 1.5 year into that future, can we expect ARM (and perhaps MIPS too) binaries soon?

And what about PPC Mac support?

Thanks
zedonet
Site Admin

Post by zedonet »

Hello,

thank you for your feedback!

I agree that support for embedded platforms would be cool, but this is only a very small market.

About the PPC version: currently there is little demand (maybe because many MAC users have switched to Intel MACs), so no decision has been made if the PPC version will be continued.

Currently we are quite busy with other devemopment, so I can't promise anything for the near future.
MrE

Post by MrE »

Thanks for your reply.

I sincerely hope you'll manage to find some time to look into embedded devices, as these are becoming increasingly more popular as file and print servers due to their energy efficiency and low running costs.

Is there a way I could compile the software myself on my NSLU2? It's running Debian Etch ARM

Also, your comment on the PPC Mac version suggests there is a PPC version out. Is that correct?

Thanks
Emile
zedonet
Site Admin

Post by zedonet »

yes, an older TurboPrint version is available as PPC binary:

ftp://ftp.zedonet.com/turboprint-1.96-3.ppc.tgz
MrE

Post by MrE »

Excellent, thanks for that!

Regarding the ARM processor, is there a way I could compile it from source on the NSLU2? It's slow but I have done this for other software too and don't mind doing this if it allows me to have my Canon available on the network.
spectas

Re: Support for non Intel/AMD architectures

Post by spectas »

Hello everybody,

is there any news on this topic? There seems to be a new market for small cheap ARM boards, like the Raspberry Pi. That one only costs 35 Euros and is capable of a lot: you can use it as a telephone installation/BTX (e.g. µElastix), as an internet router, file server et cetera.
Therefore I think it would be great to be able to use it as small printing server, using Turboprint. Like this, you could share your inkjet at home, without being dependend on a certain computer to be switched on.

Greetings, spectas
zedonet
Site Admin

Post by zedonet »

Meanwhile we have an ARM development system, so it should be only a matter of time.
I'll post when there is progress on this topic.
MrE

Post by MrE »

So, how have you been getting on with the ARM development system? :wink:
MrE

Post by MrE »

Any news on this?
zedonet
Site Admin

Post by zedonet »

A beta version of TurboPrint for ARM processor architecture is now available. The beta was compiled for armhf architecture (hardware floating point) on Raspberry Pi / Raspian and can be used freely until October 1, 2014.

Download link: ftp://ftp.zedonet.com/tp2/arm/turboprin ... .ARMhf.tgz

On systems without GUI you can install and use TurboPrint also from command line - install with "setup.sh", printer setup with "xtpsetup", printer configuration with "xptconfig".

Your feedback is welcome!