Network Printing with a Canon ix4000

shefcisco

Network Printing with a Canon ix4000

Post by shefcisco »

Hi,

I am having some difficulties printing from a mac to a canon ix4000, via a windows xp machine.

It prints wonderfully from the XP machine, and I have managed to set up the printfab driver on the mac and print a successful print test page from the printfab toolbox.

I have tried printing small images using this setup and the result is incomplete images... just an inch or so and then the printer spits the paper out and asks for more paper so it can do the same again.

I checked the manual, and tried re-adding the driver on the mac using the HP Jetdirect and LPD protocols (I originally added it as a windows printer) , but I could not send anything to the printer using those. I tested the ping command as suggested in the manual and got these results :

34 packets transmitted, 34 packets received, 0% packet loss
round-trip min/avg/max/stddev = 1.199/1.272/1.610/0.095 ms

When I set up the LPD type protocol, I used lp0 as the queue name.

Hmm... I'm not sure what else there is to tell...
The windows pc is connected via network cable to a wireless router, and the mac connects wirelessly, signal strength seems fine.

That's about it, hope you can help!
zedonet
Site Admin

Post by zedonet »

Hello,

you could try to connect your network components via ethernet cable, and test if the problem is still there - just to make sure that it isn't a wlan problem.
shefcisco

Post by shefcisco »

Hi,

I tried to print whilst connecting via a network cable, and the result was the same as before.

I'm not sure if it makes any difference, but when I have tried connected using the LPD protocol, I have only used 'lp' and 'lp0' as the queue names, because I do not know how to determine the queue name of the printer on the XP computer.

There is also a Samsung CLP-10 laser printer attached to the XP computer, which I can successfully print to from the Mac, over a wireless connection, so I'm guessing that the data travels over the network ok.

Is there something that I'm missing? Many thanks
zedonet
Site Admin

Post by zedonet »

Hello,

only the network connection type "Windows" will work, "IP"+"IPP"/"LPD"/"Jetdirect" will not work when printing to a Windows XP printer server.

Some component of Canon's Windows driver may cause the trouble.

You could try to set up a "generic" printer driver in Windows:

- open the printer configuration for your ix4000, choose the tab "Ports" and remember the printer port (something like "USBxxx" where xxx is the USB port number)

- add a new printer, select "USBxxx" as port, "Standard" as manufacuter and "Generic / Text Only" as driver

- share this driver, e.g. as "generic"

- on the Mac, add your PrintFab printer in System Control Center, choose "Windows" and select your shared "generic" printer.
shefcisco

thank you

Post by shefcisco »

i tried the the above solution, and i'm pleased to say printing now works perfectly!

thank you for your help on this issue, it's very encouraging to see a company that offers support :)