TP Control hangs in Ubuntu Bionic

Linux distribution specific questions
sraiguel

TP Control hangs in Ubuntu Bionic

Post by sraiguel »

I've just purchased a Canon pixma 100S and attempted to install Turboprint drivers on my multiboot system (Windows, Ubuntu, OpenSuse). The Windows and Suse Leap (running the .rpm version of TP 2.44) installations worked flawlessly after deleting my old Epson drivers, so there are no hardware issues. However, on Ubuntu Bionic Beaver (using the Ubuntu 64-bit .deb version of TP), the TP Control will not "add" the printer. Indeed, after clicking 'ADD' it never even asks for the system password, but simply hangs, and has to be forced to stop. The TP daemon seems to be running, and upgrading to version 2.46 produces the same result. The command lsusb shows that the printer is recognized by the system, and the TP Monitor even shows the correct name of the printer, but TP Control hangs and never 'finds' the USB printer.
rrkradio

Re: TP Control hangs in Ubuntu Bionic

Post by rrkradio »

Same problem for me.
Ubuntu 18.04 LTS and is impossible to add a new printer

Roby
zedonet
Site Admin

Post by zedonet »

Hello & thank you for your feedback - I'll try to reproduce this problem. A workaround is probably to start TurboPrint as superuser from a terminal window with the command

sudo turboprint

(your login password will be requested). Now adding your printer in TurboPrint control should work.
zedonet
Site Admin

Post by zedonet »

I just found that the problem only occurs if you log in as a user without admin rights, so the solution is to log in as an admin user before adding a new printer.

We will implement a better solution in the next TurboPrint release (probably a dialog window in TurboPrint Control to enter admin user name & password when a new printer is added).
sraiguel

Post by sraiguel »

Yes! That worked perfectly. Thank you very much for your kind assistance.
Would changing permissions on any of the Turboprint binaries perhaps also eliminate the problem? Just wondering.
zedonet
Site Admin

Post by zedonet »

Probably not - the SUID bit would be an option but it works only for command line tools.