Creating ICC profiles with ColorMunki / EyeOne / Spyder Print

New section - illustrated instructions
mr_spock123

Creating ICC profiles with ColorMunki / EyeOne / Spyder Print

Post by mr_spock123 »

I've tried for test doing this:

I print the targets with photoshop, the tiff files are untagged rgb, importing "don't color manage", then I print from photoshop with photoshop manages the color management and selecting srgb that is also the curring working rgb.. then in printfab printing with no color management but selecting also as profile srgb as profile. All worked fine.

I tried also however the same setup but:
- As usual I open the tiff files with don't color manage.
- As working color RGB space I selected previously ProPhoto
- Inside print panel i go for Photoshop manages -> ProPhoto, relative colorimetric, unticking "black point compensation"
- In printfab I select ProPhoto and no color management

Should this work better in order to squeeze all maximum possible gamut ? Because ProPhoto is a bigger color space and also support 16 bit colors..

Hope I was clear enough

Best Regards
zedonet
Site Admin

Re: Profiling under ProPhoto RGB

Post by zedonet »

Hello,

the TIFF profile target chart must be printed without color management in order to use the printer's available maximum color space (also called the printer's "DeviceRGB"). Selecting "ProPhoto" will not enlarge this device color space.

You can use "Adobe Color Printer Utility", a utility app for printing profile charts without color management.

Or you can use "Photoshop", but usage is a bit tricky. We recommend to assign an RGB profile (Edit -> Assign profile...) and select the same profile in the print dialog. If Photoshop complains that you are trying to print without color management, everything is correct:

printfab-windows-photoshop-colorchart.png
printfab-windows-photoshop-colorchart.png (160.26 KiB) Viewed 6648 times

"Untagged" images are assumed to be in Photoshop's RGB working space (Edit -> Color Settings...), so you must make sure to select this RGB working color space also in the print dialog.
zedonet
Site Admin

Re: Profiling under ProPhoto RGB

Post by zedonet »

These instructions might be useful...

Creating & using ICC profiles with PrintFab

To create an ICC profile e.g. with EyeOne, ColorMunki or Spyder, first add a new media profile entry in the PrintFab App, button "Profiles"
(Mac: PrintFab Toolbox App -> "open Toolbox" -> "Manage Color Profiles").

You will have to select the type of media (e.g. plain paper, matte inkjet paper or glossy photo paper), the print quality and the maximum ink amount (e.g. 250%).

printfab-win-profiling-1.png
printfab-win-profiling-1.png (20.24 KiB) Viewed 5099 times

The new media profile will be visible as an additional paper type in the print dialog. Use this paper entry to print the profile chart - color management will be automatically turned off (until you execute "import profile data").

Printing the profile color chart

Most profiling applications support RGB and CMYK profiles. We recommend to start with an RGB profile as this is easier to handle.
The profile target chart can be printed in Photoshop, in the tool "Adobe Color Print Utility" (RGB charts only) and also in the profiling software if it offers this option (i1Profiler can print directly to PrintFab). We use Photoshop in this description.
Color management must be disabled in Photoshop - this can be done by assigning a profile to the chart (e.g. sRGB), in the print dialog select "Photoshop determines colors" and select the assigned document profile as printer profile.

printfab-win-profiling-2.png
printfab-win-profiling-2.png (18.74 KiB) Viewed 5098 times

PrintFab driver settings:

tab "Main": "Paper"=<the media entry that you just added>
tab "Color": "Intent"="No correction", "Mode"="RGB" or "CMYK" depending on the ICC profile type

printfab-win-profiling-3.png
printfab-win-profiling-3.png (39.89 KiB) Viewed 5098 times

The resulting ICC profile can be used either in PrintFab (recommended) or in Photoshop:

1) color management in PrintFab

- import the ICC profile in the "Profiles" dialog of PrintFab Control Center

- in the Photoshop print dialog, select "PhotoShop manages colors" and "Printer profile"="sRGB"

- in the print dialog, tab "Main": "Paper"=<the profile entry that you added>
- tab "Color": "Intent"="Perception" or "Perception Photo" or "Colorimetric Black Point Compensation"
- "Mode" = "RGB"
- "Color Space" = "sRGB" (make sure to select the same Mode and Color Space as in Photoshop)

2) color management in PhotoShop

- add the ICC profile to the Windows/Mac color profiles folder

- in the Photoshop print dialog, select "PhotoShop manages colors" and "Printer profile"=<the icc profile you created>

- in the PrintFab driver settings, use the same settings as when printing
the ICC profile chart:
- tab "Main": "Paper"=<the media entry you used to print the ICC profile chart>
- tab "Color": "Intent"="No correction",
- "Mode"="RGB" or "CMYK" depending on the ICC profile type

Some PrintFab settings like the "ink save mode" can be chosen only when color management is done in PrintFab.
ramestica

Re: Creating ICC profiles with ColorMunki / EyeOne / Spyder Print

Post by ramestica »

a followup question.

The snapshot included above shows the actual chart side-by-side the print dialog. Is it possible to save the chart as a tiff or similar file?

I tried to look for such a save option on linux (turboprint studio), but it does not seem to be possible on this OS. The chart snapshot is also never visible like that when I print the chart from linux.

Thanks.