White borders in spite of "Borderless"

Other questions
figge@fire.se

White borders in spite of "Borderless"

Post by figge@fire.se »

When I chose "Borderless" there are white borders on the print. I tried to make the picture a bit larger than my chosen size, A3, but got white borders anyway. I use 2.93. Can I upgrade free to 2.94?
zedonet
Site Admin

Re: White borders in spite of "Borderless"

Post by zedonet »

Hello,

the upgrade to the current PrintFab version 2.94a is free for you - simply download and install with your PrintFab license key.

About printing borderless - which printer do you have and from which application(s) do you print?

Generally, it is important to know that PrintFab does not scale up the print in obrderless mode to fill the extra "bleed area" at the edges. Instead, you have to set up your document a bit larger to include the bleead area or to scale it up in the print dialog. In many applications you should see in the preview of the print dialog if the document fills the page (e.g. in the Photoshop print dialog).
figge@fire.se

Post by figge@fire.se »

I use an Epson Stylus Photo R2400 and I print from Photoshop 21.2.1. As i wrote earlier I even enlarged the picture so it would be larger than A3, and in the preview the picture filled the whole space.
zedonet
Site Admin

Post by zedonet »

Can you please send a screenshot of the Photoshop print dialog including preview, the printed page and the log file /var/log/printfab_cups.log after trying to make an A3 borderless print?

The log file can be found by selecting the command "Go -> Go to folder..." in the Finder, then enter "/var/log".
A new Finder window will open where you can find "printfab_cups.log" - copy it to your "Documents" directory in order to include it with your email and send to: mail (at) zedonet (dot) com
figge@fire.se

Post by figge@fire.se »

Please find attached screenshot from Photoshop and a jpg showing the print and the mark of the paper I use. However, I can not find a log file where it should be according to your reply. I have searched for it everywhere, there are no such file.
Attachments
screenshot.jpg
screenshot.jpg (175.73 KiB) Viewed 5611 times
Print.jpg
Print.jpg (113.85 KiB) Viewed 5611 times
zedonet
Site Admin

Post by zedonet »

You could also open the program "Console" in the program folder "Utilities" to view and save the log file:

printfab_log.png
printfab_log.png (101.73 KiB) Viewed 5585 times
Please let me know if the log file is also not visible in "Console".
figge@fire.se

Post by figge@fire.se »

After reinstalling Printfab I finally could localize the log file, now sent to you via email. The white borders, however, is still there. As you can se in the log file I cancelled the print as soon as I could see the white borders, I don't want to waste more ink then necessary.
zedonet
Site Admin

Post by zedonet »

Thank you, I just answered by email:

thank you for sending the log file and please excuse the delay.

The log file shows that "A3" is internally selected instead of "A3 borderless". I tried to reproduce the problem on two Mac computers (macOS 10.14 and 10.15) with Photoshop and also with the macOS "Preview" application but everything worked fine - if I select "A3 borderless" in the print dialog, the internal setting is also "A3 borderless".

Which version of macOS is installed on your computer?

Can you please try if borderless printing from "Preview" works (see attached screenshot)?
figge@fire.se

Post by figge@fire.se »

MacOS 10.15.6
When printing from Preview there are no white borders. Does this mean the problem lies in Photoshop? What can I do to fix it?
figge@fire.se

Post by figge@fire.se »

Printed with PrintFab.jpg
Printed with PrintFab.jpg (237.95 KiB) Viewed 5445 times
Printed with Epson driver.jpg
Printed with Epson driver.jpg (205.39 KiB) Viewed 5445 times
Referring to our previus conversation regarding white borders:
I finally gave up and invested in a brand new printer, an Epson XP 15000. However there is still an issue with white borders, even if some of them have disappeared!
As you can see in the attached screenshots and prints, there is one side of the print with a white border. This happens only when I use PrintFab, not when I use the driver that comes with the printer. The pictures show what happens when I print with Preview, but it is the same when I print with Photoshop.
zedonet
Site Admin

Post by zedonet »

I'm sorry that you still encounter problems. This sounds like a printer driver specific problem that only affects PrintFab version 2.94 and will be fixed in the next release. Can you please try the prerelease of the upcoming version PrintFab 2.95:

https://www.zedonet.com/ftp/beta/printfab-2.95beta.dmg
figge@fire.se

Post by figge@fire.se »

Problem fixed in PrintFab 2.95. A new problem accured: My upgrade possibility ended in june, so I have to pay for an upgrade. Considering the problems I have been affected by using PrintFab, is it possible to get the upgrade free?
zedonet
Site Admin

Post by zedonet »

I've sent a new key by email.