Why no support for Brother MFC?

smile

Why no support for Brother MFC?

Post by smile »

Hello, why Borother MFC printers are not supported? They are very good value for money and have very good print quality. There are A3 models too for a fraction of the cost of Canon, EPSON.

So I hope they will be supported.
mr_spock123

Re: Why no support for Brother MFC?

Post by mr_spock123 »

I second that I have a MFC-6520DW that I would really like to use but it seems It's still not supported
zedonet
Site Admin

Post by zedonet »

Hello,

thank you for your printer support request and please excuse the delay.

Unfortunately we do not support Brother inkjet printers & inkjet multifunction devices - the problem is that we cannot get technical information from Brother for these devices.
smile

Post by smile »

the service manuals are available at usual places.
I just uploaded my for example here.
http://sendfile.su/1564452
zedonet
Site Admin

Post by zedonet »

Thank you :D !
The manual is excellent for servicing the printer. However, I cannot find any information that would help us writing printer drivers.
mr_spock123

Post by mr_spock123 »

Assumed that most of the brother printers are nowadays controlled via ethernet couldn't be possible to use Wireshark to sniff the traffic and discover the actual commands that are sent to the printer? If i recall correctly with a pair of extension you could even listen the usb commands still with wireshark if you want to inspect usb commands.

I understand that your company had to buy a Brother MFC printer but I'm sure it could be easy get even a used model for few euro.

Thanks
zedonet
Site Admin

Post by zedonet »

You are right, sometimes it is possible to "reverse engineer" the printer command language. This is often successful if the command language is already partially known or if it is similar to the command language of a different printer model for which documentation is available.

In the case of Brother inkjet printers, we have already captured print data and invested consiberable time to determine the command structure but have not achieved usable results yet.