Presets

Questions on certain printers and applications
gatorGRAFIX

Presets

Post by gatorGRAFIX »

Hello! I have the pro version of PrintFab running on my new Apple iMac. I have been printing my Illustrator seps using PrintFab.

What I cannot figure out is the presets.

Every time I create a new preset it does not hold my custom settings after I close and then reopen open Illustrator.

When I am ready to print my seps I have to manually set it up for each and every color every time I use PrintFab which is very time consuming.

Any ideas how I can create a custom preset which will always be set properly with my custom print settings every time I use Illustrtor and PrintFab to print separations?

I just can't seem to get my custom settings to stick. Thanks!!!
zedonet
Site Admin

Re: Presets

Post by zedonet »

Hello, the printing settings "presets" are a mechanism of macOS, not PrintFab. In our experience the presets work reliably - if a "preset" is selected in the macOS print dialog, the corresponding settings are also used for the next print job.

A known problem is that macOS sometimes "forgets" the selected printer from one print job to the next, so the printer must be selected again and also the preset must be selected again.

Can you please send more information:

- your version of macOS
- are the correct settings active if you select the preset again in the macOS print dialog (Illustrator dialog -> button "Setup") before printing?
Timotheus

Post by Timotheus »

I am having a similar problem with my new MacBook Air with macOS Ventura. In Capture One, if I adjust the printer settings in the C1 print dialogue, they are changed by the time I go to the printer driver. Again, if I repeat the print, the settings may have changed. So I need to check everything carefuly each time before hitting the Print button. I agree that this does appear to be a macOS issue, and Ventura does appear to be more bug-ridden than earlier versions.
Another, frustration is that sometimes when I set a profile in C1, I find that the driver has selected Epson Color Controls with no option to change to ColorSync. I have had to reset the Apple print service to correct the problem.
zedonet
Site Admin

Post by zedonet »

Hello, thank you for the hint about "Reset print service". As I undestand this did not solve your other problem
In Capture One, if I adjust the printer settings in the C1 print dialogue, they are changed by the time I go to the printer driver. Again, if I repeat the print, the settings may have changed.
is this correct? Are you able to use the print setting "Presets" from other software like macOS Preview or TextEdit?
Timotheus

Post by Timotheus »

is this correct? Are you able to use the print setting "Presets" from other software like macOS Preview or TextEdit?
This is a very good question to help narrow the list of possible causes. I have use Print Job Setup this time. I had not noticed that option before, which is careless of me. Now it appears that the settings are remembered in both Capture One and in Preview, all except Paper Source, which must be set each time.
Thank you for your question. I think that I understand the problem, and that the system will work as expected.