Canon PIXMA iP4000

Questions on certain printers and applications
jmdennis

Canon PIXMA iP4000

Post by jmdennis »

I am unable to print. When I start the control center and try and look at the ink levels it just shows me that the turboprint daemon is not started even though it is checked to start at statup. I am using arch linux and kde 4.3.4. I even tried to add turboprint to /etc/rc.conf and this did not help as it can not find the turboprint. Also the turboprint monitor is all greyed out. I am not able to print any thing even the test page. One reason why I want to use turboprint is because the prints are better then if I used gutenprint and also I can see the ink levels which of course at the moment I can not do either.

I ran turboprint from the command line and below are some of the errors that I am getting. I am using CUPS 1.4 and others seem to have problems with the two of these together.

[jmdennis@myhost ~]$ sudo tprintdaemon
Password:
TP-Daemon Version 2.12-1
[jmdennis@myhost ~]$ turboprint
/usr/share/turboprint/profiles/profiles.lst
User id(1000) name = jmdennis
error:suid bit not set!

(turboprint:3342): Gtk-WARNING **: GtkSpinButton: setting an adjustment with n-zero page size is deprecated

(turboprint:3342): Gtk-WARNING **: GtkSpinButton: setting an adjustment with n-zero page size is deprecated

lpr -Ptp0 /usr/share/turboprint/dump/testpage-letter.ps
lpr: The printer or class was not found.
zedonet
Site Admin

Post by zedonet »

Hello,

thank you for your report!

Installation of TurboPrint on ArchLinux should work, only automatic start of tprintdaemon at boot time doesn't work.

Please make sure that the following components are installed on your ArchLinux system:

hal
xorg
gtk2
cups (1.4.2)
ghostscript
turboprint

In /etc/rc.conf add "hal" and "cups" in the line "DAEMONS"
DAEMONS=(syslog-ng network netfs crond fam hal cups)

You can start tprintdaemon with

sudo tprintdaemon 255

to get debug output.
jmdennis

The information

Post by jmdennis »

It does what is below. It just keeps writing status list. I closed the program at the end as it would not print or even show the ink levels. I do have every thing installed that you put down on the list. I had done this the right way the first time and basically got the same thing below except not starting the Daemon with out root. I will do this again when I get home and post it but it just does what you see below.

[jmdennis@myhost ~]$ tprintdaemon 555
TP-Daemon Version 2.12-1
Debug Level set to 555
usbserv starting
[jmdennis@myhost ~]$ WARNING: Daemon started without root privileges (1000,1000) - access to ports might be denied.
created semaphore with key=4759 -> semid=131073
locale::open: couldn't open locale file
write statuslist
write statuslist
write statuslist
write statuslist
write statuslist
write statuslist
write statuslist
write statuslist
write statuslist
write statuslist
write statuslist
daemon: connect from host 127.0.0.1, port -5740.
### open-cmd for printer:tp0
connect_to_printer: shortname=tp0
@get printer - state:1030 = client-error-not-found
no printers available
### connect_to_printer result=-8

### INFO: closing connection from client - queue: tp0
jmdennis

The right information

Post by jmdennis »

Below is the information from the test. Nothing is working including the nozzle checks. Is it just on arch linux that the turbo print daemon will not start? If so has any one let them know as maybe this can be built it. I would have to hate to start this every time I just want to print.

[jmdennis@myhost ~]$ sudo tprintdaemon 255
Password:
TP-Daemon Version 2.12-1
Debug Level set to 255
usbserv starting
created semaphore with key=4759 -> semid=131074
[jmdennis@myhost ~]$ locale::open: couldn't open locale file
write statuslist
write statuslist
write statuslist
write statuslist
write statuslist
write statuslist
write statuslist
write statuslist
write statuslist
write statuslist
write statuslist
write statuslist
write statuslist
write statuslist
daemon: connect from host 127.0.0.1, port -11399.
### open-cmd for printer:tp0
connect_to_printer: shortname=tp0
@get printer - state:1030 = client-error-not-found
no printers available
### connect_to_printer result=-8

### INFO: closing connection from client - queue: tp0

write statuslist
write statuslist
write statuslist
write statuslist
write statuslist
write statuslist
write statuslist
write statuslist
write statuslist
write statuslist
write statuslist
write statuslist
write statuslist
write statuslist
write statuslist
write statuslist
[jmdennis@myhost ~]$ write statuslist
write statuslist
jmdennis@myhost ~]$ sudo tprintdaemon 255
bash: jmdennis@myhost: command not found
[jmdennis@myhost ~]$ Password:
bash: Password:: command not found
[jmdennis@myhost ~]$ TP-Daemon Version 2.12-1
bash: TP-Daemon: command not found
[jmdennis@myhost ~]$ Debug Level set to 255
bash: Debug: command not found
[jmdennis@myhost ~]$ usbserv starting
bash: usbserv: command not found
[jmdennis@myhost ~]$ created semaphore with key=4759 -> semid=131074
bash: created: command not found
[jmdennis@myhost ~]$ [jmdennis@myhost ~]$ lwrite statuslist
write statuslist
jmdennis

semi fixed

Post by jmdennis »

I have this semi fixed now. Some one that had a problem printing from gnome said that to get it to print from gnome he had to change the cups to allow remote administration. When they did this then the user was able to make changes using turboprint. For me this fixed the status monitor problem. What is funny now is that it thinks the printer is connected to the parallel port. Because of this it shows that the printer is not connected. I printed a test page from cups and it showed on turboprint that it was printing even though it kept showing me that the printer was not connected. I have tried to delete it and add it as other since I do not have the option of usb. I will probably have to uninstall gutenprint as it was at least showing the printer on the right port as other when I did not have this installed.

I uninstalled gutenprint but now it is looking for that driver for turboprint. I also changed it to other by editing the printer and change the device to /dev/usblp but in /etc/rc.conf this is set up as !usblp because of the way cups works.
zedonet
Site Admin

Post by zedonet »

Hello jmdennis,

TurboPrint can only monitor usb printers that are connected via the "usb" or "tpu" backends. Please check the "URI" of your printer queue - it is shown in the printer table in TurboPrint Control.
What is the URI shown for your printer?

The "URI" should start with "usb://" or "tpu://". Your printer is addressed via these backends (port drivers) if you select on of the entries in the connection list with either "(USB)" or "(TP-USB)" as suffix.

If your setup is using a different URI (e.g. "hal://") TurboPrint cannot get the status from the printer as it does not know how the printer is connected. Printer data is sent to the printer by the spooler system, so printing may still be possible.
jmdennis

I switched

Post by jmdennis »

I switched over to Ubuntu before this response. I had installed Gnome on arch linux and was going to try this but decided to just install Ubuntu and see how it has come along. I never really liked Gnome so was using KDE always. I do like the fact that TurboPrint starts as soon as I start the printer. I thought that I did not have enough ink in my printer because of the poor print quality with gutenprint. I was quite impressed to learn that my ink levels were fine except for my black ink which was a little low. I appreciate the work that goes into getting this to work. Does this start at all on arch linux as some day I may go back as I really like being more up to date and like how they do thing but I also want to be able to use my printer with out having to start the print daemon myself.