soft proofing

Other questions
docfuz

soft proofing

Post by docfuz »

Hi.
I'm a registered user of TurboPrint Pro since a few days.

I am used in my photographic workflow to soft proof my images with the labs icc profiles to adjust my shots before I send them to the lab to be printed.
Now I'd love to print with my inkjet at home and your software is just perfect.

But :)

how do I soft proof with the relevant profiles? Printing on my Pixma, with this or that paper, I think I'd need the icc to proof against it and work around out of gamut warnings and the likes, *before* sending my images to the TP driver. Right?

Is that possible?

Thank you,
doc
docfuz

Re: soft proofing

Post by docfuz »

Bumping myself,
I know I could make an ICC profile myself, add it and use it to softproof in bibblepro/gimp/photoshop/....

But what If I don't make a new ICC profile myself or if I use the Zedonet provided service (which I understand provides a turboprint-only profile and not an ICC one)?

Should I just softproof against sRGB or AdobeRGB and color correct in Turboprint?

The point is: I think I love TP. I just want to know if I've got to buy the hardware to make printer ICC profiles myself or not.

Thank you,
doc
zedonet
Site Admin

Post by zedonet »

Hello,

our profiling service uses proprietary profiles that are not standard ICC profiles (to allow additional control during printing, e.g. "ink save mode" or "reference light") and thus cannot be used for softproofing.

However, export of standard ICC profiles for soft proofing is a feature that is planned for a future TurboPrint version.
docfuz

Post by docfuz »

Thank you, I'm definitely looking to it! Hope it gets here soon.

So, for the time being, what would you advise me to do? Softproof against sRGB?

Thank you,
doc
zedonet
Site Admin

Post by zedonet »

Softproofing against sRGB is the same as softproofing = off. People in the print industry softproof against ISO_coated or SWOP_coated icc profiles. This should show the "worst case" for gamut restrictions as most inkjet printers have a slightly larger gamut.

Which printer & paper do you use? Depending on that information I could recommend a profile.
docfuz

Post by docfuz »

zedonet wrote:Which printer & paper do you use? Depending on that information I could recommend a profile.
At home I'm gonna print on a Canon MG6150 (with grey ink) on Canon PR201.
Thank you, your help and customer support is much appreciated.
doc