Rendering intent?

Other questions
crenedecotret

Rendering intent?

Post by crenedecotret »

Hi, in turboprint studio, the two "major" rendering intents are available. Perceptual and Relative Colorimetric. Relative tends to crush shadows, and perceptual changes colors a bit -sometimes-. I was wondering if Turboprint will ever implement Black Point Compensation to use with Relative Colorimetric ? Right now I apply with Gimp and just no the No Correction mode but I would love to be able to set this in the driver instead. thanks for taking the time to review my suggestion!
zedonet
Site Admin

Re: Rendering intent?

Post by zedonet »

Hello,

thank you for your suggestion! You can use "Saturation" which is implented as relative colorimetric + black point compensation, however it would be a good idea to have a setting to adjust the black point individually.
crenedecotret

Post by crenedecotret »

Oh, that's interesting! I thought that Saturation was a completely different type of rendering intent. Different software like Gimp or Photoshop use Perceptual, Relative with BPC on/off, and Saturation.
Is this just a Turboprint quirk, or is it that in reality, saturation and relative BPC on are one and the same?

Maybe Turboprint should be modified to reflect what people see what is in their photo apps for less confusion, but now that I know how Saturation is implemented, I'll be able to get the results I want

thanks!
crenedecotret

Post by crenedecotret »

Oh I forgot to ask, the information you gave me, this is true regardless if i'm using a Turboprint specific or ICC profile? I have a Zedo profile for my printable CDs, but use my own ICC profiles for photo paper, done with a Colormunki and Argyll
zedonet
Site Admin

Post by zedonet »

Sorry for the misunderstanding. The statement "Saturation intent is implemented as relative colorimetric + black point compensation" is correct for ZEDOnet profiles.

With most profile creation software (e.g. X-Rite/Gretag), "Preceptual" is identical to "Saturation" (please try yourself with Argyll).

So you are right, the setting "Black point compensation" should be implemented in a future TurboPrint version.
crenedecotret

Post by crenedecotret »

Just of of curiosity, is a BPC option on the roadmap?
zedonet
Site Admin

Post by zedonet »

We are right now implementing a "Colorimetric Relative Black Point Compensation" intent that will be added in the next TurboPrint release.
crenedecotret

Post by crenedecotret »

Very very nice! Thank you so much for the update