TurboPrint monitor window appears in wrong session

Other questions
Quicksand

TurboPrint monitor window appears in wrong session

Post by Quicksand »

I'm using TurboPrint under Fedora 20 (64-bit, Gnome), and I had a bit of a surprise the other day.

I'm occasionally logged into my home system twice -- once locally, and once remotely via xrdp using my iPad. TurboPrint works great when I print from the locally logged in user (that's X display :0.0), but when I try to print something using the RDP client on my iPad (display :11.0 for whatever reason), the TurboPrint monitor window never appears. And because I have TurboPrint set up to confirm jobs before starting to print them, nothing ever prints out.

So I noticed this problem a few days ago, couldn't get anything to print out from my RDP session, and figured I would debug it later.

Well, later finally came along, I unlocked my desktop system locally, and right there in front of me were multiple instances of the TurboPrint monitor waiting for my input and corresponding to the print jobs I had attempted to initiate from the RDP session. They should have gone to :11 but they ended up on :0.

Does anyone know of a fix/workaround for this, other than "don't do that"? :mrgreen:

Many thanks!
zedonet
Site Admin

Re: TurboPrint monitor window appears in wrong session

Post by zedonet »

I am not sure if there is a proper way to fix this from our side - TurboPrint would need to know from which X session the job was printed.

A workaround should be to kill TurboPrint Monitor and start it again, both from the RDP session:

killall turboprint-monitor
turboprint-monitor &

Another workaround would be to login as a different user.
Quicksand

Re: TurboPrint monitor window appears in wrong session

Post by Quicksand »

Thanks. I'll try the workaround.

The idea of using a different user is feasible, but I'm not sure how much I would like it in practice, just from a permissions maintenance standpoint. When I log on remotely it's usually because I want to access something that I, the primary user, have on that system with that user's ownership. Maybe I'll make a new user and assign them both to the same group, then give it a shot anyway.