PrintFab not recognizing USB printers

Questions on installation
hakrr

PrintFab not recognizing USB printers

Post by hakrr »

Working on a 2008 Mac Pro with latest Mavericks upgrade + lost ability to print to both Canon MX700 + Canon i9900. Hoping PrintFab can help remedy the situation but after trial download it simply doesn't recognize either printer. Have tried both individually as well as restarting with them already on + connected to no avail. The mac itself recognizes them but I can't find drivers to load.

Any suggestions how I can get PrintFab to recognize either, or both ideally, printers?

Thanks.
zedonet
Site Admin

Re: PrintFab not recognizing USB printers

Post by zedonet »

Hello,

if the printer is recognized (your Mac shows a popup window "do you want to download and install a driver"), it should also be shown in PrintFab Toolbox, dialog "Add printer".

If this is not the case, you can also set up the printer in OS X System Preferences, "Print & Scan":

- button "+" to add a new printer
- "Canon MX700" or "Canon i9900" should be visible in the list with connection "USB"
- select the printer
- next to "Use:" choose "Select Printer Software ..."
- choose the driver - "CANON PrintFab Canon_i9900" or "CANON PrintFab Canon_PIXMA_MX700"
(you can also type the model number into the search field above the list)
hakrr

Post by hakrr »

thanks + that's what i've tried to no avail. the printers both are recognized by my mac but canon no longer has driver's for them. that's why i've turned to PrintFab.

however, i've tried the steps you've listed + it works up until your last one, " choose the driver....". where are the drivers located? I can't just "choose the driver" as they don't automatically pop up + though I've searched extensively I can't find them.

I'm baffled + am wondering if the issue is either; a) i'm on a trial version of PrintFab or b) somehow the drivers haven't loaded correctly (or were erased when I reset my print options).

ideas? thank you.
zedonet
Site Admin

Post by zedonet »

Instead of "Select software..." choose "Other..." in the list. When the file selection dialog appears, type on the keyboard

/usr/share/cups/model/C

(the dialog "Go to the folder" whill appear where you can type a directory name)

then click on the button "Go".

Then you can select the driver .ppd-File - "pf_Canon_i9900.ppd" or "pf_Canon_PIXMA_MX700.ppd".

I hope this helps.
hakrr

Post by hakrr »

This does help, thanks so much. But even though I have both printers recognized by PrintFab now (Canon MX700 + Canon i9900) unfortunately, they won't print. I've restarted numerous times with variations of the printers on/off, etc but upon attempting to print get the message form both machines, "Ready to Print - 'Filter' failed, 0 copies (see attachment).

I've tried testing the printer, anything to get it to print to no avail. Can measure ink levels but so it's connected + recognized but there's a breakdown somewhere that precludes me actually printing.

Any ideas?

Thank you.
Attachments
Screen Shot 2014-04-28 at 9.40.44 AM.png
Screen Shot 2014-04-28 at 9.40.44 AM.png (32.32 KiB) Viewed 8917 times