Printing from Vista64 gone...

michal

Printing from Vista64 gone...

Post by michal »

Hi,
I setup 1-95-2 few months ago on Suse 10.1. All was working ok.
After a while I couldn't print on CD (printer start to print on CD but in A4 format, total mess...). I changed to 1-96-2 and I can't print at all now. All looks ok when printing from Suse or my laptops (XP), however my desktop (Vista64) can't print anymore. I'm not sure what happend, is it a vista driver, vista upgrades or Turboprint.
I downgraded back to 1-95-2 but it did not help. It seems that the job is not send to Turboprint (or Turboprint is not taking it?) It might be that the windows can't get printer status (XP has the same issue but somehow the printing is succesful ). Turboprint is excelent program but seems to lack Vista compatibility. OTOH, it could be vista drivers... However, printing directly from within Vista works perfect. Very confusig as all was working perfect first time I installed Turboprint.
I have run out of ideas. Can anyone suggest anything?
Thanks,
michal

EDIT: the printer is Canon Pixma ip5300
michal

Post by michal »

ok, more hassle.
I upgraded back to 1-96-2. I couldn't print even from Suse then.
I restored Suse from image I made month ago. Suse now prints ok, but still nothing from Vista. It seems that the print data is not even sent to Suse, there is no jobs in Vista print que display. Hovever, if I sent a maintenance request like "patern check print" it shows as a job in vista but I get message:
"The printer is offline.
Check that the printer cable is connected and the printer power is on."
In both cases no job is shown on Suse print monitor.

I would really like to use my printer from all my computers....
zedonet
Site Admin

Post by zedonet »

Hello,

if you print from a Windows computer to a Linux server, the print job is directly passed to the CUPS printing system, the TurboPrint driver is not active.

There may be a problem with CUPS configuration - please check /var/log/cups/error_log (on the server) after trying to print from the Windows computer.
michal

Post by michal »

What should I exactly check for? (The printing from XP works ok)
Thanks.
Michal
zedonet
Site Admin

Post by zedonet »

Maybe it is related to a network problem in your vista installation. Make sure that you can access your linux computer via network (e.g. check file sharing). Sometimes it helps to deactivate the firewall in windows - in that case you will need to adopt firewall settings.
michal

Post by michal »

Thanks,
bit late but for interested, problem solved! I had to set the Samba Server to work with user/password login rather then witout. Vista will not work with the network without credentials log in. I set it as above and all works perfect :)

thanks again for putting me in the right track,
Michal