Printing off page, Canon PIXMA iP4300 (Linux)

Questions on certain printers and applications
sciboy

Printing off page, Canon PIXMA iP4300 (Linux)

Post by sciboy »

I believe these scans of these A4 cups test pages explain the problem.

First the successful test page using the Gutenprint driver:

Second the unsuccessful test page using the Turboprint driver:

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
zedonet
Site Admin

Post by zedonet »

Could you please explain what printing problems you have?
Apparently you have chosen a borderless printing page size in TurboPrint. With borderless page formats each page is defined a bit bigger than the actual paper size (so a small part on each side of the paper gets printed outside the page margins) - this is necessary to avoid small white borders on one or two sides of the printout in case the printer does not feed the paper 100% exactly.
If you select a normale page size (e.g. A4 without borderless printing) you will get the same printing result as with the other printer driver.
sciboy

Post by sciboy »

That's the problem, I haven't chosen any borderless settings, this is how it prints by default. (A4, Plain Paper)
sciboy

Post by sciboy »

Still having this problem, any ideas?
zedonet
Site Admin

Post by zedonet »

From which application did you print?
sciboy

Post by sciboy »

It happens in all programs although I've done my best to compensate with large margins.
The print queue and test pages are handled by CUPS.
Gwasanaethau

Post by Gwasanaethau »

I have a Canon i560x that does that too - no matter which application I use and whether I select borderless or not.
zedonet
Site Admin

Post by zedonet »

Hello,

I only know of of problems with Acrobat Reader: the automatic scaling of pages so that nothing is cut off at the edges doesn't work properly, so in "borderless" documents something may be cut off - we are trying to find a solution. Instead scaling must be specified manually in Acrobat Reader's print dialog - a scaling of 98% gives good results.

In all other applications I know (e.g. OpenOffice) the printed size is exactly as specified in the document - nothing is cut off if page margins are properly defined in the document.

Could you give examples for applications you printed from? How were page margins defined in the application?
Gwasanaethau

Post by Gwasanaethau »

I tried printing in both OpenOffice.org Drawing and Evince. In OpenOffice it refused to print without margins, and would automatically reduce the size of the drawing down to be within the print area (about 5mm in from the edge of the page) despite the printer having borderless capabilities, whereas Evince would print at the specified size, but it would cover the edges of the drawing with a white border 5mm wide (8mm at the bottom of the page). In both tests, I tried using A4 Borderless as the paper size.

EDIT: I've just found out that I was using 'plain paper' while running these tests. Even using the Windows drivers, the printer will refuse to print to the very edges of a 'plain page' as this would cause smearing of the ink around the edges of the page. I assume it's the same using TurboPrint…