What is the best printer for printing CD/DVDs?

Questions on certain printers and applications
kauos

What is the best printer for printing CD/DVDs?

Post by kauos »

I would like to get a CD printer for my linux system. I'm looking at a Photo Printer with the CD/DVD printing as an add-on, rather than a dedicated CD Printer itself.

I've been drawn to the canon Pixma series. My housemate has a Canon Pixma IP4200, but the cd tray arrangement is a bit fiddly.

I was wondering if anybody has had any experience with CD printing with perhaps the IP5300 or the IP6700D. Or whether somebody has had a good experience with another brand of printer.
zedonet
Site Admin

Post by zedonet »

Hello,

we were quite satisfied with the iP4200. CD/DVD printing with iP4300 / iP5300 / iP6700D is very similiar to the iP4200.

All the printers that we tested are a bit slow when loading the CD tray - there is not much difference between Canon and Epson printers in this respect.
kauos

Post by kauos »

I had heard bad things from other people who owned the iP4200 that you needed to line up two arrows for it to print correctly. They had indicated that it could be a bit fiddly to get it right. You can't just push the tray right in to the end.

I went out and purchased an iP6700D and it is still true that there are two arrows to line up (one on the CD tray, and one on the Printer), however it is not necessary to get this 100% accurate. Before it prints the iP6700D will calibrate itself by using reflective strips on the CD tray itself. I've been out up to 5mm lining up the arrows, and it still prints in the correct position.

For CD printing I can personally recommend the iP6700D. Its not really fiddly at all like I had been led to believe. It works great with the TurboPrint drivers. I think its terrible that the manufacturer still doesn't provide proper drivers for them even yet (tried the ones available from Canon Japan, but they do not support high resolutions or CD printing).