Canon Pixma MX850

afwalker

Canon Pixma MX850

Post by afwalker »

Hello,
Bought an MX 850 for a linux-only network. Tried most all other Canon drivers without luck. Will this printer be supported in the future with a turboprint driver?
thanks in advance
andy
zedonet
Site Admin

Post by zedonet »

Hello,

a driver is planned - I will post on availability.
ThyMaster

Post by ThyMaster »

That's great news!

But, did anyone got this printer accessed via its build-in printer server at all?
I didn't and as long this doesn't work a driver is quite useless (only for network access of course).

Any idea what to type in to connect to this printer via TurboPrint setup??

Thx in advance
ThyMaster
ThyMaster

Post by ThyMaster »

Any news on new drivers (esp. Canon MX850)?
I do wait eagerly!

Regards
ThyMaster
afwalker

mx 850 network

Post by afwalker »

I have it now on a vista box, but I really hope to put it on my Clarkconnect server with a long cat 5 /ethernet extension cable! With turboprint working on this cups server, all of my linux boxes will be able to print. Now we have to save a file to Clarkconnect on its ftp site, then trudge over to the only vista 'puter and print. As soon as this driver is ready, I'll convert the vista box to linux and I will be able to access the printer from all the computers in my network!
ThyMaster

Post by ThyMaster »

Sorry to tell you, but you won't!

The Canon printer does not use any standard network printing protocol. Instead it uses a proprietary one that only works with their Windows and MacOS drivers!

So far there is no way to access the printer from Linux other than via USB or a standard USB network printer device. :(

- ThyMaster
afwalker

canon is non-standard

Post by afwalker »

well, I was beginning to think that. Will there ever be a turboprint driver for this printer? If I could get one linux box to print to this via usb, then maybe I could do this for a linux network with cups.
llagendijk

Post by llagendijk »

ThyMaster wrote:Sorry to tell you, but you won't!

The Canon printer does not use any standard network printing protocol. Instead it uses a proprietary one that only works with their Windows and MacOS drivers!

So far there is no way to access the printer from Linux other than via USB or a standard USB network printer device. :(

- ThyMaster
Well, for the record: cups-bjnp supports Canon network printing. It is available from
http://sourceforge.net/projects/cups-bjnp/
It is still beta quality. Ido not have any Canon documentation on the protocol, but developed cups-bjnp based on reverse engineering based on the TCP/IP packets captured from a Windows printer
collinstocks

For those of you still having problems...

Post by collinstocks »

For those of you still having problems, I wrote a script that automates most of the process of installing cups-bjnp and gutenprint. It gives instructions once it is done on how to finish the process. Good luck, and I hope this helps some people!

Put the following code in a shell file (ends in ".sh"), then give the file executable permissions (chmod a+x filename.sh).

#!/bin/sh

gimpversion=5.2.3
genppdversion=5.2
bjnpversion=0.4

workingdir=`pwd`

cd $workingdir
wget superb-east.dl.sourceforge.net/sourceforge/cups-bjnp/cups-bjnp-$bjnpversion.tar.gz

gzip -d ./cups-bjnp-$bjnpversion.tar.gz

tar -xf ./cups-bjnp-$bjnpversion.tar

cd ./cups-bjnp-$bjnpversion

./configure
make clean
make
sudo make install

cd $workingdir
wget internap.dl.sourceforge.net/sourceforge/gimp-print/gutenprint-$gimpversion.tar.bz2

bzip2 -d ./gutenprint-$gimpversion.tar.bz2

tar -xf ./gutenprint-$gimpversion.tar

cd ./gutenprint-$gimpversion

./configure
make clean
make
sudo make install

cd /usr/share/ppd
sudo mkdir gutenprint
cd gutenprint
sudo /usr/sbin/cups-genppd.$genppdversion
cd $genppdversion

sudo gzip -d ./*

echo
echo "Okay, now go into the printer manager and add the printer."
echo "Select the ppd file from /usr/share/ppd/$genppdversion/"
echo "stp-bjc-PIXMA-iP5300.$genppdversion.ppd"
zedonet
Site Admin

Post by zedonet »

Hi,

there is no need to compile the BJNP package yourself - it is already included in the current version of TurboPrint.
Regarding the initial post in this thread: the Canon MX850 is fully supported by TurboPrint.
collinstocks

Yay!

Post by collinstocks »

zedonet wrote:Hi,

there is no need to compile the BJNP package yourself - it is already included in the current version of TurboPrint.
Regarding the initial post in this thread: the Canon MX850 is fully supported by TurboPrint.
That sounds great! Just, for my uses, I do not need a commercial product, and instead can use the 600dpi-limited free alternative.

(By the way, I'm not sure where the 600x600 limitation myth came to be. The image is very clear, and is at least 600dpi, which is where I assume the numbers came from originally. 600dpi is extremely clear [if that is indeed the maximum resolution I can print at using the free drivers], and it is really misleading to say that it is a limitation.)