Bad %%BoundingBox: comment seen!

M5driver

Post by M5driver »

Why is this still an issue? This is not an inexpensive bit of software, yet when the PrintFab driver returns this error from inside Photoshop, I cannot print, and the driver is thus useless to me. I purchased this driver because the Canon driver does not allow me to turn off color management, so PrintFab seemed the logical solution. I am starting to wonder if this is not the case.

In my case, I am currently using a Mac, OS X 10.5.8 and a Canon Pixma Pro 9500II. This error occurs when I try to print borderless US letter sized prints (test prints). Are there any fixes, changes or workarounds? Any help appreciated.

Thanks!
M5driver

Post by M5driver »

A sort of, kinda workaround with the Canon Pixma Pro 9500II and borderless prints: I select the standard Canon 9500II driver in the Page Setup dialog, choose the desired borderless size, then in Photoshop's print dialog and the secondary dialog box that pops up after selecting "print" in Photoshop, I chose the PrintFab driver. This works as far as color and ability to use .icc profiles. However, I cannot produce a borderless print this way. The prints always have a border of approximately 1/4 inch (~6mm) all around. Not entirely satisfactory, but useful while I am in the test mode.

Cheers.
zedonet
Site Admin

Re: Bad %%BoundingBox: comment seen!

Post by zedonet »

Hello,

the message "Bad %%BoundingBox comment seen" is not created by the PrintFab driver and cannot be prevented by it. Normally it is only a warning that doesn't affect the printed output and can be ignored. The message comes from OS X and means that the application (Photoshop) sent a print job that contains a badly formatted postscript comment.

Which borderless size did you select in our dialog / when setting up the page using Canon's driver?
Which version of OS X and which version of Photoshop do you use?
M5driver

Post by M5driver »

Thanks for the info. I have not seen this error except when using the PrintFab driver. Could it be due to "ghostscript" not getting along with OSX?

In any case, I am using OSX 10.5.8, PS CS4. For test prints, I select US Letter borderless, but have yet to print a borderless print. With the PF driver, my US Letter prints always have an approximately 1/4" (6mm) border. When I use the Canon driver, the borderless setting works. I have not yet tried other print sizes. Any help greatly appreciated.

Best regards.
M5driver

Post by M5driver »

I forgot to add I don't recall installing "ghostscript"... is it an integral part of the PrintFab driver install, or is it an additional installation?

Thanks again.
zedonet
Site Admin

Post by zedonet »

Ghostscript:

Installation of the Postscript interpreter "Ghostscript" is an option - when you install PrintFab on your computer using the "Install PrintFab" setup tool you are asked wether or not to install the recommended optional component "Ghostscript".

A Postscript interpreter is only required for application software that support Postscript printers directly like all Adobe products and QuarkXPress. In most cases, "Ghostscript" enhances appearance of fonts and lineart and minimizes compatibility problems.

The "%%bounding box" warning is generated by Mac OS X independent of whether Ghostscript is installed or not. However, it is only displayed when Photoshop prints to a Postscript printer (PrintFab emulates a postscript printer in order to offer additional color management options).

Borderless printing:

There is a slight difference between PrintFab and Canon's printer driver. The Canon driver enlarges the page by about 2% to ensure borderless printing. PrintFab instead offers a "borderless" page size that is slightly larger (e.g. US Letter + overprint area at the margins), so you have to enlarge the image when printing. Please make sure that the image fills the preview area in the Photoshop print dialog.
M5driver

Post by M5driver »

Thanks for the explanations. Now I understand why the bounding box message shows.

I will check again to make sure I have made any adjustments needed to print borderless and try again at the weekend. I'll let you know the result. Vielen Dank!