Canon S820D colours not good

Questions on certain printers and applications
Gersoid

Canon S820D colours not good

Post by Gersoid »

I have installed Turboprint 1.95.1 on my Ubuntu 6.06 Print & Fileserver box that my family uses, and am using the Canon S820 Turboprint driver in CUPS (1.22) on that print server, to print 6x4 photos on a Canon S820D. I am seeing poor quality colour when printing from my Linux client PC (Ubuntu 6.10) via that server (and also when I print direct from the server using CUPS). The colurs are very dark and muddy.

The client PC is dual boot, and when I print from Win XP on the same box, to the same (CUPS) server, I get much more vivid colours. I have spent a lot of time (and at 40p per print, money) on trying to replicate the optimal settings using CUPS / Turbprint, currently I am using

lp -d Photo -o zedoGamma=240 -o zedoColorC=40 -o zedoColorY=30 -o zedoBrightness=15 -o zedoGamut=50

My questions is : Given that the Win XP drivers are (for whatever reason) producing better quality photos, is there any way I can look at the windows settings and replicate these using turboprint (I understand that the Windows Canon driver just streams the output direct from the client and this is passed through by Turboprint / CUPS, but at some point in the stream that is sent to the printer it must initialise some settings). Unfortunately, printing photos is the only remaining reason to keep the dual boot client with any windows capability, otherwise it would be linux-only.
zedonet
Site Admin

Post by zedonet »

Hello,

TurboPrint's print quality should be comparable to (or in some cases better than) Canon's Windows driver, provided that the correct paper and the highest print quality has been chosen.

You could post the last portion of the log file /var/log/turboprint_cups.log after such a print so that I can see which settings are used internally.

Please also include information on the application you printed from (e.g. GIMP).
Gersoid

Post by Gersoid »

I have sent a PM with the log file

I am printing from the command line (actually, it's a PHP script executing the system() command) using lp. It's used in a web based browsing/printing system I wrote in PHP for our family photos.

I am seeing exactly the same issue when I print from the GIMP.

One thing I've noticed is that the tpconfig settings seem to make no difference - that is, it is only command line switches that seem to have any effect on colour etc.

any help gratefully received