Print from Windows Client is only in GreyScale

Other questions
DantePasquale

Print from Windows Client is only in GreyScale

Post by DantePasquale »

Hi, I'm running Ubuntu 12.04 with TurboPrint as the printer manager. A Canon Pixma Pro 9000 mk ii is connected via USB to that server. The printer is shared and is accessible via CUPS http/ipp protocol for clients. Printing from the server itself and from clients running Ubuntu is great, awsome colors and detail. However, printing from my Win 7 laptop only yields greyscale images, again the quality is awesome, but I need to be able to print in colour.

As I understand it, when printing from Windows, the Win computer connects to the 'raw' queue. So, from the windows computer, I setup the printing using http://myserver:631/printers/canonpixmapro9000, for example. Then when I setup to print from Corel PaintShopPro, and configure for 4x6 borderless, color, etc. for example, it always prints in GreyScale.

What am I missing here? Is this just a problem with the Pixma Pro 9000 (I also have another printer connected but haven't been able to test from Windows yet). Can someone point me in the right direction?

Thanks, Danté
zedonet
Site Admin

Re: Print from Windows Client is only in GreyScale

Post by zedonet »

Hello,

normally, when printing from a Windows client to a Linux printer server, the client is connected to the "raw" queue (as you wrote) which means that print data is passed thorugh to the printer without modification and the TurboPrint driver is not active.
In this case the original Canon printer driver for the PIXMA Pro 9000 MK II is installed on the Windows computer and of course this driver must be configured for "color" printing.
I have no explanation why the printer should print in black&white if color mode is selected in the driver settings.

Another possible setup is using a Postscript driver on the Windows client - print data will be recognized by Linux as "Postscript" and will be sent to the Postscript interpreter ghostscript and then to the TurboPrint driver. The Postscript driver can be selected when adding the network printer in Windows. It is important that a color Postscript driver is chosen, e.g. "HP Color LaserJet 2800 Series PS".
The problem with this setup is that it is difficult to select paper size, print quality or media type, so in most cases the original manufacturer printer driver is used.