Banding on Canon ip2000

Questions on certain printers and applications
Prius

Banding on Canon ip2000

Post by Prius »

I recently purchased a copy of Turboprint for my Canon Pixma ip2000.
I am very disappointed with the results, which despite my best efforts, still show noticeable and unacceptable "banding" on photographs.
The same photographs printed on the ip2000 under Windows XP, using the Canon driver supplied with the printer, show no observable banding at all.

I am using "The Gimp" under SuSe Linux and have tried all of the following to try to get rid of the "banding":-
- re-aligning the printheads (I have repeated this several times with different settings).
- each of the "dpi" settings in turn.
- different dither patterns.
- several different paper types.
- cleaning the printheads.
all to no avail, the "banding" remains stubbornly visible. The changes in "dpi" and dither patterns settings made some difference but even at best the "banding" still remains noticeable and unacceptable.
The comparison prints under Windows XP were done both immediately before and after the Linux print and produced perfect results.
What should I do?
zedonet
Site Admin

Post by zedonet »

Hello & thank you for your feedback.

Print quality should be comparable to Canon's windows driver if settings are correct, i.e. paper used for printing = paper chosen in driver, highest print resolution. Some customers say they find TurboPrint's print quality superior.

With the Canon iP2000 and most other Canon printers, banding should not be different from Canon's Windows driver as paper feeding and print head movements are controlled by printer firmware, not by the driver.

Printing from GIMP may produce bad results in some cases:

- certain versions of the CUPS printing systems ignore the quality setting from gimp (problem exists in CUPS 1.2.1 & CUPS 1.2.2, fixed in CUPS 1.2.3). In this case the default print quality must be changed in TurboPrint Config instead.
- older versions of GIMP modify colors before sending to driver - see our HTML manual, chapter 7, section GIMP for optimal settings to compensate this (gimpprint/gutenprint module older than 5.0.0, fixed in gimp-print/gutenprint 5.0.0rc2).

Both problems are fixed in current Linux distributions like Ubuntu 6.10/7.04, SuSE 10.2.

For closer investigation you could post the log files

/var/log/turboprint_cups.log

after printing (only section for last print job).