Another set of iP2000 problems with Ubuntu 6.10

Questions on certain printers and applications
BrianV

Another set of iP2000 problems with Ubuntu 6.10

Post by BrianV »

I installed TurboPrint 1.95-2 on a Pentium III PC running Ubuntu Edgy Eft.

All seems well with the installation. The printer is recognized. I can print with it, but only in colour.

Problem symptoms:

1. No black or gray scale printing.

2. No Help files or manual installed

3. TurboPrint Printer Configuration > Toolbox > Check Ink Quantity reports the printer busy, or missing, and fails

4. TurboPrint Printer Configuration > Printer > Cartridge has only 'Colour' option

There may be other anomolies, but this is sufficient to indicate something is wrong. Any suggestions on how to proceed?

I had the printer working previously (printing black and colour) using the Ubuntu BCJ250ex driver, which prints with about a 60% scale factor - everything there but reduced in size.
Regards, Brian
BrianV

Update on iP2000 ubuntu 6.10 problem

Post by BrianV »

The help/manual problem was that I failed to select the Firefox browser to view the file. I have carefully re-installed and re-setup turboprint, but the other problems remain. There is some discussion about getting 'ink quantity check' to work in the setup portion of the manual, so I will probably be able to figure that one out in time.

My big problem is still that the black ink cartridge is not seen by the system and I cannot get any printing other than with the colour cartridge.
Regards, Brian
zedonet
Site Admin

Post by zedonet »

The "Cartridge" settings is only for printers where different cartridges can be installed in the printer (e.g. older DeskJet printers where either a black or a 3-color cartridge can be inserted but not both).

To print with the black cartridge on your iP2000 printer, choose "Color Mode"="Black & White" or "Color Mode"="Grayscale".

About ink status - two things are important:

- the device name in TurboPrint Setup must be something like "usb://canon/ip2000"
- TurboPrint Config must be started as "root" user, e.g. from command line using "sudo xtpconfig"
BrianV

Mixed black and colour printing

Post by BrianV »

Thank you, Zedonet, for the reply. I will try the config advice. For the black printing, the issue is a mixed document, with black text and coloured picture, for example, prints only the coloured portion. For example, on the test page I see no text printed except the coloured web link to www.turboprint.de and in the TurboPrint logo, the words 'for Linux' only show up in white against the orange oblong background.
Regards, Brian
BrianV

Further update on iP2000 ubuntu 6.10 problem

Post by BrianV »

The printer is listed as usb://Canon/iP2000. I did log in to xtpconfig using sudo xtpconfig. Th error message remains the same: Printer not found.
Regards, Brian
zedonet
Site Admin

Post by zedonet »

About black text: if you print a nozzle test page from TurboPrint Config - is there also a black "staircase" visible (on the top of the page) or only the cyan + magenta + yellow bands?
BrianV

Re black text ...

Post by BrianV »

The nozzle check test page starts with a black grid (sloping horizontals) labled K at left side.
Regards, Brian
BrianV

Black problem resolved

Post by BrianV »

Zedonet,

I am embarrassed to report the black printing problem has been resolved by replacing the black cartridge tank - even though I was able to print with the other driver (at reduced size) there must have been insufficient ink to work with turboprint. Anyway, the test page works fine now!
Regards, Brian
zedonet
Site Admin

Post by zedonet »

Great to hear that the problem is solved! It is strange that Canon's windows driver still printed black (it seems to use a CMY mix for black in some cases).