avoiding banding in large solid color areas?

LML

avoiding banding in large solid color areas?

Post by LML »

Hello,

I'm brand new to Turboprint. Have only printed one page so far, but it's amazing and I'm only one day into my 30 day test period.

Presently, I'm using it on the small Canon Pixma iP2820. I printed one page from Gimp using the highest resolution offered, 9600 dpi. Paper choice was Fineart Hahnemuehle (although the paper I used was actually heavyweight Epson matte until my order of good paper arrives.)

The image is 8x10 with a very high percentage of dark blue background that makes up about 80-percent of the page, with white typography lettering also on the page using up about 20-percent of the page.

Dithering is set to error diffusion. Ordered Fine and Ordered Coarse are my other two choices but I haven't used them yet. (What are they?)

In that blue background, I can see very slight banding. Maybe most people wouldn't notice it, but I do. I would like to eliminate that. Is it possible? When I'd order giclee prints, those had no banding. Is there a way to tweak the settings to elminate the slight problem? Through Turboprint the white lettering is exactly as sharp as the giclee prints I was buying (when looking through a printer's loupe at the edges.)

Thanks for any help. Turboprint is amazing.
zedonet
Site Admin

Re: avoiding banding in large solid color areas?

Post by zedonet »

Hello,

generally, banding can be reduced by choosing a higher print quality which also means slower printing - the paper is advanced less between print head passes.
You are already in the highest print quality mode, so this is not an option in your case.

Banding also depends on the paper, so chances are that prints look better e.g. on Hahnemuehle paper.

Ink can also make a difference - some refill inks increase banding. Are you using original Canon or compatible inks?
LML

Post by LML »

Thank you for replying.

Presently I am using the Canon OEM inks (in the Canon cartridges).

Yes, you are correct that I am using the highest quality print options.

Shortly, I will have some Red River Aurora White paper to test - I can't find any Hahnemuehle easily right now.

One thing I noticed: When I print from Gimp using the Turboprint option, I see one drop down box in the print dialog that is for the cartridge used. The drop down ONLY lists the COLOR cartridge. I can *NOT* choose anything like "both" (color and black) cartridges. I read in some old messages on the forum that some printers only use black ink when "plain paper" is chosen. I have tested many paper choices and other options in printing, checking the ink consumption through Turboprint each time, and I find that the printer is ONLY using the color cartridge for any prints that do NOT specify "plain paper." However, even when choosing plain paper in dialog (but printing on better paper), using the highest dpi setting, and using black ink mixed with color, I'm still seeing very slight banding. (Choosing this option, however, yields a nearly black tinted blue that is too black.)

Another step I took to resolve the problem is manually aligning the print heads via dialog with the printer. Not a big enough improvement resulted.

I have the option of exchanging (or returning for refund) this printer yet. Could this particular model have a defect? Should I opt to try another hoping it might not band?)

Thank you.
zedonet
Site Admin

Post by zedonet »

Hello,

the Canon PIXMA iP2820 is a "low end" printer, so I think another printer of the same model would produce the same banding.
We have good experience with Canon's 5-color or 6-color models with separate ink cartridges, e.g. Canon MG5620, MG6620, MG7520 - however these are more expensive and the print head is not easily repleaceable.
LML

Post by LML »

Thanks for getting back to me.

One last question, please?

You mentioned the other Canon printers. However, when I upgrade the printer I was hoping to go with something that can print at least an 11x14. Do you have any recommendations of which printers might fulfill my needs and work with Turboprint in that size range?

I was looking at this one: iX6820
http://www.usa.canon.com/cusa/consumer/ ... xma_ix6820
zedonet
Site Admin

Post by zedonet »

The iX6820 is also a good choice.