Epson 3880 used with PhotoshopCS5 and icc Profiles of Paper

Barbcity

Epson 3880 used with PhotoshopCS5 and icc Profiles of Paper

Post by Barbcity »

HI There,
I am using a trial version of PrintFab to overcome the length limitation of 37 inches in the Epson 3880 printer I just bought. I have been printing both at home and on the Epson 9800 & 11800 printers at school using Photoshop and downloaded icc profiles for Canson Rag Photographique and Breathing Color's Lyve canvas from the paper manufacturers. The manual is hard to follow with this method. I finally managed to import a few icc profiles into the "colorspace" tab, but was really unsure if this was the correct place for them. My test print with the colorspace toggled to my icc profile was much better than the test print with the RGB colorspace(way too saturated colors). Both tests were done using Photoshop: Photoshop managing colors, printer profile was the icc profile of the paper/printer, rendering intent was perceptual with black point compensation checked. In the PrintFab Settings I set the intent; Perceptual, the mode: RGB, and the colorspace: with the paper icc profile. Otherwise, I left all settings in the PrintFab color management in the default positions.
Is this the correct way to do it?
Other options seem to be: change PrintFab settings intent to (No Correction), leave mode (RGB) and leave the colorspace with the (icc paper profile).
Or perhaps change the colorspace to (Adobe RGB).
zedonet
Site Admin

Re: Epson 3880 used with PhotoshopCS5 and icc Profiles of Pa

Post by zedonet »

Hello,

you can import any ICC profiles into PrintFab, however it makes no sense to use the profiles provided by Epson or by the paper manufacturer (e.g. Canson):
These profiles will produce correct colors only when used with Epson's original Windows printer driver. The reason is that different printer drivers have different color output, depending on the dithering algorithm, linearisation, use of light (photo) inks vs. regular inks, black generation etc.

A new color profile must be created for PrintFab, either through our profile creation service or with a spectrometer and profiling software.

Generally, paper ICC profiles are imported in PrintFab Control Center, dialog "Profiles", tab "Printer Profiles". A new entry must be added with the button "New profile...", then the button "Import color data" is used to import the ICC profile. A more detailed description can be found in this forum thread:

http://www.turboprint.info/support/view ... =24&t=1164

The tab "Color Spaces" in the PrintFab Profile dialog is only for document color spaces (sRGB, AdobeRGB, ...).
Barbcity

Post by Barbcity »

OK I understand about not being able to use the epson driver icc paper color profiles. I want to print out a test and a color chart to send in for profiling. I have read the manual but it doesn't say what size paper to use or what settings to use to print the chart. There is something about flipping the paper around the opposite way to reprint on the test? This manual could use a few diagrams. It would also be useful if someone from PrintFab did a few "youtube" videos for us to watch when we get stuck.
zedonet
Site Admin

Post by zedonet »

You are right, the manual could be better. The minimum page size is A4 or Letter.

If you printed an ink limit test chart, there is enough free space left on the paper to print the color chart - on the same side of the paper (usually only one side is coated for inkjet printing), so the paper must be rotated by 180 degrees.