ubuntu print server

bmenge

ubuntu print server

Post by bmenge »

Ok I am using turbo print on my ubuntu 7.04 system and it prints fine. I would like to get it setup to share the printer with an apple ibook g4 so I can print wireless over the network.

There seems to be a wealth on knowledge about getting this setup with a windows system but very little that I have come across for the apple systems.

As far as Ubuntu goes, I have got browsing on and have it set up to listen to the ibooks private ip. I can ping the ibook, and the ibook gets the info from the ubuntu box in the add printer dialog box. When I try to print on the ibook I get an error unable to reach...will try again later(not an exact quote).

I am fairly new to linux about 9 months now with only ubuntu on my system so I could be overlooking something fairly obvious and less than one week with the ibook(its not mine it belongs to the school district my wife works for, so I don't want to be fishing around to much with it)

Is PrintFab going to be needed to do this and if it is will I have to get a new license every year when the ibook is returned and a new one is reissued?
zedonet
Site Admin

Post by zedonet »

Where is the printer connected to? Ibook or linux system?
I assume it is connected to the linux computer. Probably you have to turn on printer sharing in CUPS. This can be done via the web-frontend of CUPS. Open an internet browser (e.g. firefox) and enter "http://localhost:631" as address.
Now you should see the CUPS menus in the shown web page. In the web page select "Administration", then on the right side in the "Server" part, select "Share published printers.." and press "Change settings".

If your network settings are correct, the printer should now be visible on your mac.
If not, check if the printer is published - you can see and change that in the CUPS web menu "prniters".
zedonet
Site Admin

Post by zedonet »

It might be easier with PrintFab, however if you have a printer driver that can print via network, you can also use that one.
Of course you do not need a new license if you change your computer. Presumed you remove the software from the first ibook, you are allowed to use the same license of PrintFab on the new computer.
bmenge

Post by bmenge »

Yes the goal is to have the printer connected to the linux system, and print wireless from the ibook. When connected directly to the ibook the printer works fine.
Y
es I have what you mentioned enabled in the cups web based gui. I have gone into the /etc/cups/cupsd.conf and entered browsing on, Listen to the ibook ip many other things that I have found on the net have not worked.

I am sure its something simple but I just don't have the knowledge needed.