HP Photosmart D7360 won't load from photo tray

Questions on certain printers and applications
edenyard

HP Photosmart D7360 won't load from photo tray

Post by edenyard »

Please can you help with this?

I've just installed an HP Photosmart D7360 in my system, which runs Slackware 10.2 and was also running Turboprint 1.92 until today. This system had performed flawlessly with an older HP Deskjet 930.

The new Photosmart works but it ALWAYS loads paper from the A4 tray, no matter what paper size I select. I cannot ever get it to load from the photo tray, although it prints perfectly on small-size photo paper if I load that into the A4 tray.

Today I tried upgrading to Turboprint 1.96-3, thinking that a later version might solve the problem, but it has not made any difference.

Please could you suggest a solution to this problem. I cannot see anything that would allow me to specify that the photo tray is to be used. Am I missing something obvious?

Many thanks,
Gerald
(Registered user - serial nr 10005010214494)
edenyard

Post by edenyard »

Any ideas, anyone?

Zedonet??

I'd appreciate some clue....

Cheers,
Gerald.
zedonet
Site Admin

Post by zedonet »

Hello,

you are probably using another PhotoSmart driver that doesn't offer a "feed from photo tray" option.

You could try to modify the driver description file in /usr/share/turboprint/printers - e.g. edit the file HP_PhotoSmart75xx.tpp - and add another section like

[Feed1]
Name=Photo Tray
Param=6,0,0,0 ;6 for photo tray

Then run

tpsetup --update

from a root command line to update the PPD files so that the "Photo Tray" can also be selected from applications.
edenyard

Post by edenyard »

[quote="zedonet"]
You could try to modify the driver description file in /usr/share/turboprint/printers - e.g. edit the file HP_PhotoSmart75xx.tpp - and add another section like
[Feed1]
Name=Photo Tray
Param=6,0,0,0 ;6 for photo tray

Then run
tpsetup --update
from a root command line to update the PPD files so that the "Photo Tray" can also be selected from applications.[/quote]

Very many thanks for your answer. Sorry for the delay in responding to it - in the intervening period, the 1-week-old HP printer broke down and had to be replaced, which meant having to deal with the awful HP support line. Don't try this one at home, folks....

Anyway - I edited HP_PhotoSmart73xx.tpp and added the extra section, as you suggested, and then I ran 'tpsetup --update'. Unfortunately, this didn't fix the problem and, when I looked at the corresponding file in the PPD directory, I noticed that it hadn't changed.

I uninstalled Turbopront completely, uncompressed the installation archive, edited the TPP file and then ran 'setup' to re-install Turboprint. This time, the PPD file was created afresh and all seems well.

I can now print from the photo tray without any problems. Thanks again for providing the solution.

Cheers,
Gerald.