Printing under Leopard

Questions on installation
fairmeadow

Printing under Leopard

Post by fairmeadow »

I've upgraded to Leopard, and have added a Canon Pixma 4200, via Airport Express (in addition to the one using the standard driver). At the end of the first document (a single page) the status remained at 99% complete, and I've been unable to print anything further - when I paused the first document the second only reached 32% and nothing actually printed.
And now, if I pause the printer with the Printfab driver, or even if I delete it, I get a connection error if I try to print using the standard driver.

Has Leopard broken something in Printfab, or have I broken something with my upgrade?
zedonet
Site Admin

Post by zedonet »

Hello,

thank you for your feedback! The current version of PrintFab is not fully compatible with OS X 10.5. We are working on a compatible version and will inform post on availability.

EDIT:

PrintFab should print without problems on OS X 10.5. Only minor changes in the user interface and an updated user manual are planned for the upcoming PrintFab version for OS X 10.5.

There might be a problem specific to network printing.
Can you send some more information:

- your printer model
- type of connection (usb / network - if network, which printer server)
- "URI" as shown in the CUPS web frontend http://localhost:631/printers - should be something like usb://... lpd://... socket://...
fairmeadow

Post by fairmeadow »

Description: Canon iP4200 PF
Printer Driver: Canon_PIXMA_iP4200 PrintFab
Printer State: idle, accepting jobs, not published.
Device URI: mdns://Canon%20iP4200._pdl-datastream._tcp.local./?bidi

I just tried again. The test print reaches 99% and then stops, with the paper about 3/4 out of the printer.
zedonet
Site Admin

Post by zedonet »

It seems that this is not a PrintFab specific problems.
Problems with wireless connection to an airport station have been reported with OS X 10.5:

<http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jsp ... ID=5645535>

I expect that some fix for OS X will be released.
fairmeadow

Post by fairmeadow »

It has to be something that Printfab is doing (and the Gutenprint driver is also doing) that the Canon IJ driver isn't, as that works OK albeit without the same quality.

However I agree with you that the nature of it points to it being an Apple feature :) rather than a fault with the driver. I'll try again whenever or if ever the Apple update appears.
sonicf

leopard printfab problem

Post by sonicf »

I also am having trouble with printfab and canon i960 over airport printing. it just jams up and won't finish or won't start at all. macbook with leopard with new install of printfab 2.08. no other trouble with airport. canon driver seems to work but have not used it extensively yet. note that the reason I got printfab in the first place was due to problems with the canon drivers jamming up with tiger.

thanks
fairmeadow

Post by fairmeadow »

It's a relief to know I'm not alone!
Just to be even more specific, I've been using the Printfab drivers with a Canon IP6600D attached to an Airport Extreme - that works although sometimes very slowly.
It is just the printer on the Airport Express (on a separate network from the Extreme) that is giving the problems.
platti

Post by platti »

hello,
as I read in apples forum, it maybe a problem with the new version of cups (1.3.3) in leopard: http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jsp ... &tstart=45.
It is a pity that the fine PrintFabdrivers can't work properly with cups 1.3.3 ...
zedonet
Site Admin

Post by zedonet »

It seems that the "Bonjour" protocol (URI = mdns://...) doesn't work properly in Leopard.

You could try to set up the printer using a different protocol - either "HP JetDirect / Socket" or "LPD - Line Printer Daemon":

Open "System Panel" -> "Printing"
Add a new printer: Press "+", choose "IP"

Choose "HP Jetdirect - Socket" protocol, use "10.0.1.1" as IP address (= standard address of airport base station; or enter other ip address if the address has been changed). Then enter e.g. "Canon PrintFab" as manufacturer and choose your printer model.

If printing still doesn't work properly, you can also choose "LPD - Line printer daemon" protocol. Also enter "10.0.1.1" as IP address and "lp" as print queue.
platti

Post by platti »

Hello,

No, Bonjour works fine. There are only Problems with the Cupsdrivers (Gutenprint and PrintFab) on the HP Socket Protocoll. The LPD protocoll doesn't work at all with the Canon iP4000.
Deviad

Post by Deviad »

Hello,
I'm the owner of a Canon MP810 and I'm using Leopard.
The problem I'm experiencing is not being able to print greyscale documents. No matter what. If I select greyscale it will print the document with color. :|
Is this a problem just of mine?
I cannot wait for the new release of Printfab, I miss the interface.
Everything I wanna do is printing black and white documents.
zedonet
Site Admin

Post by zedonet »

Hello,

did you select "greyscale" in the print dialog, "PrintFab Settings"-> "Color" -> "Mode"?