[solved] canon ip4500 - banding on photo prints

Questions on certain printers and applications
markf

[solved] canon ip4500 - banding on photo prints

Post by markf »

hi,

i cannot print pictures without banding. I've bought a registered copy of turbo-print.

i've tried every option i can think of.

i've used gimp to save the file out into various formats (jpg, ps, png, gif), with various dpi print settings (and even checked them with imagemagik's "identify")

i've also tried (after seeing a thread on tpprint in the forum) command line:
tpprint -dCanon_PIXMA_iP4500 -s4800x3600 -p0x0 -q5 -m3 -f12 toprint.ppm - | lpr -P tp0raw

i'm using photo paper plus (pp101), 4x6 borderless.
i've got tp0 and tp0raw visible in my Printers list (cups, but via Printers control center in KDE).

with tp0 i've tried 2400, 4800 and 9600 dpi, but the banding is identical each time.
i've tried scaling the image up and setting dpi to 9600 within the image. and also having 2400 dpi in image, but setting printer to 9600 dpi. identical prints again.

i've run the alignment test, which prints fine on 2 sheets, as i would expect and looks like the version that printed from winXP.

it doesn't seem to matter what i print with (kprinter, tpprint, kview), every single image comes out banded (a perfect line, followed by a the next correct line but lighter than it should be, repeated throughout picture).

in xtpconfig i've got settings of quality "super", cartridge "color", correct paper type, color mode truecolor.

i'm at my wits end. every single photo print comes out banded. Printing normal letters (even with color) comes out fine. i tried the demo version and there was no banding in the logo that was printed.

am i running the driver incorrectly some how?
anyone have any suggestions?

cheers,
mark
Last edited by markf on Mon Dec 10, 2007 8:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
zedonet
Site Admin

Post by zedonet »

Hello,

can you print a nozzle test page from TurboPrint Config, index card "Toolbox"? The bands for photo black, cyan, yelow and magenta should be solid (white lines in them).
markf

Post by markf »

ok, just printed the nozzle test page onto a piece of SG-101 (photo paper plus semi-gloss).

In the color areas (the 2nd column) i get:
- the PGBK grid; all lines perfect
- cyan band; solid colour - no bands
- cyan band; with some white bands in small alternating blocks (but look like part of the test)
- cyan band; with less white bands
repeat x3 for magenta
- yellow band; solid colour - no bands
- bk band; with some white bands in small alternating blocks

the column on the left:
- PGBK with 2 vertical solid black lines
- C with 2 vertical black lines - banded like the photos i get (exact same spacing as banding i'm getting - i can line them up perfectly on 2 prints)
- C with 2 vertical grey lines - banded
- C with 2 vertical grey lines - banded

- repeat for M (black/grey/grey; all banded)
- Y with 2 vertical black banded lines
- BK with 2 vertical grey banded lines

the banding is about a pixel height surrounding a good horizontal strip.
i'd estimate that each strip of colour is about 3-4 times the height of a banding line.
zedonet
Site Admin

Post by zedonet »

Ooops - this entry has been mistakenly deleted

Topic title:
Message author: markf
Message subject:

pictures are worth a thousand words:

Printer nozzle test:
http://fishersplayground.co.uk/gfx/_p9k5892.jpg

typical picture with banding:
http://fishersplayground.co.uk/gfx/_p9k5893.jpg

warning: these pics are 4.5mb each.

i'm guessing my BK nozzle is playing up from these tests.
zedonet
Site Admin

Post by zedonet »

There print head nozzles for photo cyan are not working correctly (white lines). You may try "Clean print head" from TurboPrint Config's Toolbox page.

EDIT: the nozzles for photo black and cyan (small drop size) are not working correctly
Last edited by zedonet on Mon Dec 10, 2007 4:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
markf

Post by markf »

i tried a deep clean, but the results are the same in printing images and the nozzle check.

the printer is only a few days old, is there anything i can do to test/fix it, or should i take it back?
zedonet
Site Admin

Post by zedonet »

My opinion is that the print head is not working properly and the printer should be returned.
markf

Post by markf »

i replaced the printer, and the problem has gone.

thanks for your help.

mark