Samba problem -> Oops, I goofed.

dirkmitt

Samba problem -> Oops, I goofed.

Post by dirkmitt »

I just installed Turboprint in recent days, so that over my LAN I can send a print job from my Linux Box (Kanotix 2005 RC4) to my Windows XP Home computer, where I have a Canon PIXMA MP150. The printing works well, and I am happy for that. But doing so seems to have created an unwanted side-effect.

I also have a Samba server running on my Linux Box, which has always allowed me to put files there from my Windows XP computer and to pick them up again from my additional Linux Laptop. This means there are three computers total: The Windows XP computer, the Linux Box and the Linux Laptop.

But since last week, the Samba server on the Linux Box has exhibited strange behaviour. Specifically, it will no longer allow the other Linux computer, or its own Lisa client for that matter, to log in to Samba for file sharing. However, my Windows XP computer, which also has the printer that Turboprint is allowing me to share, has no problem at all in enumerating the workgroup and accessing the Samba server.

What seems to happen now, when I try to acces the workgroup in any way from my Linux Laptop, is that some kind of endless stream of packets gets sent back and forth to and from the Linux Box, in which some kind of server signing or authentication perpetually leads the other one to request the same thing from the first computer. Yet, the packets do create network traffic successfully on the Linux Box. But according to any Linux browser, the workgroup does not seem to exist any more, that does for the Windows XP computer. And from Windows XP, as I said, the whole workgroup can be seen.

I could try to post log files etc., but because I was up until 1:00am this morning pouring over log files that shed no light on the problem, I wouldn't know where to start with that.

I used Wireshark on the Linux Box to determine the fact that seemingly endless packets get sent back and forth.

I suspect that Turboprint caused this problem because (1) I did use it to access an smb: -based Windows printer, and (2) I installed no other software since last week, when this system was still working between all the computers.

I could appreciate some kind of expert advice on this.

Dirk
Last edited by dirkmitt on Sun Jan 13, 2008 10:58 pm, edited 2 times in total.
dirkmitt

Updated Resolution.

Post by dirkmitt »

It would seem that I was mistaken about this problem. This was neither due to any Denial Of Service from my Windows XP computer, nor due to Turboprint. I had made a mistake in configuring my Samba server, which took me very long to find.

And because this forum is not really the place to discuss Samba issues per se, I don't think I need to expound on my mistake here.

For example, it will be unlikely that other Linux users would run into the same problem.

Dirk