Questions regarding HP Pagewide pro 477dw

Questions on certain printers and applications
iprintfab

Questions regarding HP Pagewide pro 477dw

Post by iprintfab »

Hi, I'm giving printlab a spin with my HP Pagewide pro 477dw.

Obviously I'm aware this is a new printer, so I guess it's normal several options aren't available from the printfab toolbox (as ink status, nozzle check, clean printheads, align printhead).
Any update on this in the near future ?

It would also ne nice to have a log for printfab's savings, such as printed page numbers, overall percentage of ink saving for each color, etc...
zedonet
Site Admin

Re: Questions regarding HP Pagewide pro 477dw

Post by zedonet »

Hello,

yes, we might add toolbox options like nozzle check & clean printheads in a future PrintFab version. However, all these options should also be available directly from the printer's control panel.

Do you use the HP Pagewide pro 477dw with a compatible TurboPrint driver - the "HP ColorLaserJet M477" driver or a different one?
iprintfab

Post by iprintfab »

well, being on a Mac, I just installed the printfab app., with a number of options greyed out...
How could I select a "compatible" printfab driver ? The only "colorlaserjets" I'm seeing are the
colorlaserjet5
colorlaserjet4500
colorlaserjet8500
But those have nothing to do with the "pagewide" model I use, which is an inkjet without moving printhead...

Quid about the amount of pages printed and preview of ink coverage (-& savings) percentage?

Ps: why is Printfab only proposing 300 dpi impression (although in 3 quality levels though)?
The default draft mode of the printer obviously is printing in less than 300 dpi.
I'd like to be able to print in draft mode with Printlab's ink saving options activated.
Is that possible ?
zedonet
Site Admin

Post by zedonet »

Hello,

according to HP specifications, the "Pagewide" printers have the same command code emulation as ColorLaserJet printers, i.e. Postscript & PCL emulation. You can use the "ColorLaserJet 4500" driver or the the "ColorLaserJet M477" driver that has been added in the latest PrintFab release 2.82.

When setting up the printer, proceed as described in the PrintFab PDF manual: For USB connection, see chapter 5 (adding a printer with PrintFab Toolbox), for network connection, please see chapter 6.1 (adding a printer with OS X system preferences, print & fax).
At the last step, "choosing a PrintFab driver" select the compatible driver "ColorLaserJet 4500" or "ColorLaserJet M477").

For printing with less ink ("draft mode"), slide down the "Reduce intensity" slider in the print dialog -> "PrintFab Settings" -> tab "Ink Control 2".
iprintfab

Post by iprintfab »

For printing with less ink ("draft mode"), slide down the "Reduce intensity" slider in the print dialog -> "PrintFab Settings" -> tab "Ink Control 2".
thanks for the information.
I found the "reduce intensity" tab alright.
But even so, depending on the emulation driver I select, the output resolution options aren't the same : either only 300 dpi, the colorlaserjet only 600 dpi.
What if I want an output resolution inferior to 300 dpi ?
Thanks
zedonet
Site Admin

Post by zedonet »

Output resolution < 300dpi would make sense only to reduce CPU load and spool file size on the Mac - the throughput of the printer will be probably the same. You could test throughput and see output quality by using the "HP LaserJet 4200" driver (black & white only).