System default printer ignored

Linux distribution specific questions
rasman

System default printer ignored

Post by rasman »

I used Turboprint to manage my canon pixma pro 9000. I also have a Ricoch Afficio as my main office printer, which is set to the system default. However, turboprint insists on overriding the ricoh and making the canon the default. How to I tell turboprint that the system default is a printer it doesn't manage?

Just to be clear, what I am asking is whether turboprint can co-exist with printers that it doesn't manage, but the system (CUPS) does? The answer is clearly yes, but as far as i can tell it wants to override the system default to being one of its managed printers. I want the Ricoh, which turboprint doesn't manage to be the system default. Turboprint doesn't support Ricoh, and it doesn't need to as the standard unix support works.

Richard
zedonet
Site Admin

Re: System default printer ignored

Post by zedonet »

Hello Richard,

TurboPrint can set the default printer (TurboPrint Control, button "Default") but should also respect an existing default printer. Please note that the default printer is set per user.

Please try the following:

- set the default printer using the Linux printer administration tool or the CUPS terminal command "lpadmin", e.g.

Code: Select all

lpadmin -d <printer name>
- make modifications in TurboPrint Control (e.g. add a new print queue) and check if the default printer is still the same

TurboPrint will not change the default printer unless you make modifications in TurboPrint Control (e.g. add / modify a printer).
rasman

Post by rasman »

Interesting lpq doesn't list the Ricoh. In fact only the one printer controlled by turboprint is listed.
The Printers window (cpus) shows a number of printers connected to localhost, including the Ricoh. And it shows the Ricoh as the default printer.

lpadmin -d Ricoh-Aficio-3235C

is accepted, however, any application this is asked to print still chooses the Canon-PIXMA as the default.

The Ricoh is a networked printer - is that significant?

Richard
zedonet
Site Admin

Post by zedonet »

Hello,

sorry, my instructions were wrong.

Code: Select all

lpoptions -d Ricoh-Aficio-3235C
will set the user default printer to Ricoh-Aficio-3235C.

Some applications look for the system default printer instead for the user default printer - you can set it with

lpadmin -d Ricoh-Aficio-3235C

(on some Linux distributions, you will have to enter "sudo /usr/sbin/lpadmin -d Ricoh-Aficio-3235C")

What is the application you are using to print?
rasman

Post by rasman »

just about everything: openoffice, firefox, Lotus Notes, musescore.
Yes I had used the lpadmin command you mentioned. It doesn't alter what apps think is the default.
And Turboprint control show a tick against the canon printer, which I assume means it thinks this is the default.

Richard
zedonet
Site Admin

Post by zedonet »

After entering "lpoptions -d <printername>", the "lpq" command should show information for <printername>.

Otherwise the problem might actually be that the Ricoh is a network printer.
rasman

Post by rasman »

Very interesting,

after lpoptions, the Ricoh shows up at the only printer from lpq. And tuoborpint-monitor no longer has the Canon set as the default. And apps now pick the Ricoh as the default.

So that's done it. I don't understand quite why that worked, but it has.

Richard