Canon PIXMA IP5200R - cannot get to print

richkyle

Post by richkyle »

Hello.
I'm new to Linux. I am trying to print to my Canon Pixma IP5200R, over wired network. I have read about using CUPS, but I cannot get Turboprint to connect. I get message "Error - no connection to Turboprint daemon" all the time.

Any advice and fairly simple instructions would be very welcome!

Many thanks
zedonet
Site Admin

Post by zedonet »

Hello richkyle,

what Linux distribution are you using?
The message indicates that the TurboPrint daemon is not active on your system. You can try to start it manually by entering the following command in a shell window:

sudo tprintdaemon

(enter password when asked).

However, the TurboPrint daemon is not necessary for printing - it is needed for printer status reporting.

What connection type did you choose when setting up your printer? Did you connect with Socket protocol or with the BJNP backend? You can see that in the URI entry in TurboPrint Control Center.
richkyle

Post by richkyle »

Hi Zedonet,

I'm using Ubuntu Hardy Heron 8.04.

I've tried IPP and CUPS. I have managed to get one test page to print, but unfortunately, I have changed the settings again before the print came out, so I don't know what made it work.

Current connection settings are:
Other Printer
Connection: Other (CUPS URI)
URI: ipp://10.0.0.10
Printer Name: Canon_Pixma_iP5200
Shortname: tp0

Currently can see test pages going to spool, but then getting spooler message "recoverable: Network host: 10.0.0.10 is busy; will retry in 10 seconds...

The printer isn't busy.

One other thing. I believe I have CUPS-BNJP installed as I read that this is required.

Hope this is helpful.

Cheers

R
richkyle

Post by richkyle »

Progress... I have managed to get a test print coming out, by using the Network Printer Socket / Jet Direct option with IP address = 10.0.0.10, port not set.

However, when I try an print from Fspot photo manager or Open Office Impress, I get a spooler message about a "broken pipe" part way through the printer spooling (ie. the preview image on the right hand side of the info tab only gets so far...

Any ideas anybody?

R
zedonet
Site Admin

Post by zedonet »

There is a known problem with the BJNP backend in combination with printing pages with lots of data. Please try if it works when connecting the printer via the Socket protocoll (tcp://).

We have fixed the BJNP problem, a new BJNP backend version is included in the latest release of TurboPrint (V2.06). However, as the BJNP backend is a different project, it is only installed if no BJNP backend was installed yet.
So you would need to delete the old version first, e.g. with the shell command: sudo rm /usr/lib/cups/backend/bjnp
(enter user password when requested).
richkyle

Progress going backwards now...

Post by richkyle »

I have done all you suggested.
HPDirect / Socket
Tried tcp://10.0.0.10
Port = blank

Cannot find server.

Removed the old version of BJNP and re-installed turboprint latest version.

Now I cannot even connect to the printer. I get message

"Service not available on server".

Settings are:
HP Direct / Socket
Server: 10.0.0.10 (TCP://10.0.0.10 only says server not found)
Port = blank,

These settings previously at least printer a test page.

Any more ideas?
zedonet
Site Admin

Post by zedonet »

Hello,

the BJNP backend has no influence on the connection via Socket protocol, so there must be a different reason why it no longer works with that setting.
Is your printer detected automatically in TurboPrint Control Center when adding a new printer? It should be detected by the "BJNP" backend and be shown in the "connection" pulldown menu.

If not, you should also check if the printer is actually reachable via network, e.g. with a ping command from a shell window (this command just sends data packets to the printer and checks for replies):

ping 10.0.0.10

press ctrl+c after some seconds and see if a "packet loss" is reported.