Printing problems

Other questions
mdandrews3tp

Printing problems

Post by mdandrews3tp »

I have been using Turboprint to print to a Windows networked printer (a Canon PIXMA MP830), which as been working fine. I recently directly attached the printer to my computer. The setup appeared to work fine as Turboprint recognizes the printer, but when I attempt to print - I get message that the printer is either not attached or not turned on (but netiher is true). Any suggestions?

I am using TurboPrint 2.06-1
My machine is running under Fedora Core Release 8 (32 bit)

Thanks
zedonet
Site Admin

Post by zedonet »

Probably you are not using the TP-USB backend but the standard CUPS USB backend. Without the special TurboPrint USB-backend (TP-USB) any access to the printer is blocked by the USB backend while printing. So TurboPrint Monitor cannot see the printer and shows "printer not connected". However the printer status should be available again after a print has finished (try to cancel the print job if it hangs).
You can change your printer setup to "TP-USB" backend (URI: tpu://...) in TurboPrint Control Center - just choose the printer connection with "(TP-USB)" as name suffix.

If printing does not work at all there might be a USB interface problem. Please check the USB cable and remove all other connected USB devices and hubs to check if this has any influence.

What does the Info field of TurboPrint Monitor show? Often interface problems are shown in the spooler message (shown above the print job settings).