Save multiple settings in GIMP TurboPrint plugin

tyinbw

Save multiple settings in GIMP TurboPrint plugin

Post by tyinbw »

One feature that is really lacking from the GIMP print plugin is the ability to save and recall multiple groups of settings. If you use different papers and/or sizes, it's very frustrating to have to manually change the settings every time you make a print (and risk forgetting an important setting).

I think this might be a limitation of the Gutenprint source code on which the TurboPrint plugin is based, but I haven't inspected the code to see if this is true.

My workaround for now is to enter a specific group of settings, save it, and then copy the file from the gpturboprintrc file, which on my Ubuntu 16.04 system is here: ~/.gimp-2.8

I was actually thinking of developing a very simple external 'settings manager' application that would allow selecting pre-configured settings files (the app would simply overwrite the gturboprintrc file the desired settings file).

Am I missing something? Is there some better way to manage these settings?
zedonet
Site Admin

Re: Save multiple settings in GIMP TurboPrint plugin

Post by zedonet »

Hello,

thank you for your suggestion - it would be nice to be able to create and select printing "presets" in the GIMP TurboPrint print plugin and maybe we can add this in a future TurboPrint release.

A workaround is to create several print queues for the same printer in TurboPrint Control, e.g. one for plain paper, one for matte photo paper, for glossy photo cards etc.

The TurboPrint license limits the number of printers that can be used, however there is no limitation on print queues for the same printer.
ramestica

Post by ramestica »

I did have a setting configuration for Baryta, then, as suggested, I added the same printer but with a different name, to collect setting to print on Luster paper. But strange things started happening. The first sign of trouble was that after launching Settings dialog (TurboPrint Config button on the print dialog), then, after closing the Settings dialog the TurboPrint Config button remained disabled and I could not launch the Setting dialog again. I must first kill the print dialog and start again.

The second problem is that my original setting went to defaults, same as for the second version of the printer.

I have removed now both printers from the configuration. Added the printer only once and now the TurboPrint Config button becomes enabled aging after closing the Settings dialog.

Yes, it will be nice/good if multiple settings are supported as a first class feature.
alec

Post by alec »

I was quite surprised seeing no print presets support in a commercial application like that, it looks like a huge drawback.

I support the request, please add this feature, at least for the GIMP plugin.