Canon Selphy CP1300, Linux: with some applications, 4x6" page size appears in print options but cannot be selected

Questions on certain printers and applications
Rob. S.

Canon Selphy CP1300, Linux: with some applications, 4x6" page size appears in print options but cannot be selected

Post by Rob. S. »

This is Linux Mint 19.1 Tessa with Cinnamon desktop.

In Mint's applications, i tend to find one of two kinds of print dialog.

One, which I find in Mint Cinnamon's default image viewer ('Pix') or in 'Gimp', already comes up with the CP1300 postcard-size printer's standard print size (4x6") as default after choosing that printer, and I can print (if only with white borders, if the image format doesn't fit – there is no 'crop to fit' option).

The second kind of print dialog, which I find in other applications like XnView or Nomacs, always shows A4' as default even after I chose the CP1300 printer:

screenshot.png
screenshot.png (110.97 KiB) Viewed 78578 times

Now when I click on the 'Page size' selector, I find 'Postkarte 4x6" randlos' (Postcard 4x6" borderless) right on the top of the list, but after I select it, the selection still shows 'A4'. So far, I have not found a way to print on the CP1300 printer with any app using this kind of print dialog. (trying to find a workaround through 'Custom' or just plain 'Postcard' didn't work either).

So far, the only way I've found to print images on that printer without white borders seems to be using the 'TurboPrint' option Gimp has in its File dialog, alongside just 'Print'.

Since I find no such issues with another printer (Epson Stylus Photo 1500W), also using TurboPrint, I suspect this has something to do with TurboPrint's implementation of the Canon CP1300 driver?

Cheers,
Robert