CMY only (No K) on OfficeJet Pro printers

exploradorgt

CMY only (No K) on OfficeJet Pro printers

Post by exploradorgt »

Post edited for clarity.

Hi there, I'm exploring PrintFab (trial version) as my business requires me to print on special papers and diff mix of inks in order to adapt to each paper differences. I'm quite happy with the capabilities of the program, been able to made some test using Canon printers, I understand only some Brother models are supported.

Whoever I'm curious about support for HP printers, specially the HP OfficeJet Pro 8100 and the OfficeJet Pro 7740 as it seems these work in CMY mode and not CMYK. I can't grasp control over the black ink. The special papers I'm using require to lower the total ink amount and intensity, I'm getting pretty nice results after exploring the options on the diff tabs of Print Fab, but:

- The UCR slider is disable
- The ink consumption tab only shows CMY

Modifying the settings I can get pretty decent prints, but CMY black it's something tricky as it can appear as black on some papers and brownish or blueish on others (and lacking true darkness), the latest is what I'm getting on these papers and combined to the above it surely sounds as I'm only getting CMY control. I already tried using the settings in RGB mode and also on CMYK but no luck so far. On the other hand I achieved very nice control and results over Canon printers, same ink, same paper, but I can't get that close on the HP printer models described above.

I'm exploring Print Fab for the reasons explained above. I've worked on digital imaging, digital press, lithography and color management, I find PrintFab very interesting as it offers options to manage home and business inkjets as if they were specialized equipment. My trial version is coming close to expiring, I read I might be able to continue exploring the software with a watermark but I'm not sure. Will appreciate help or confirmation that these printers only work on CMY mode.

Thanks in advance.
zedonet
Site Admin

Re: CMY only (No K) on OfficeJet Pro printers

Post by zedonet »

Hello,

the HP printers you mentioned (OfficedJet Pro 7740 and OfficeJet Pro 8100) can be controlled by the PrintFab drivers only in RGB mode, this is the reason why a "CMY" ink consumption is shown the PrintFab ink consumption display and no "UCR" setting is available.

The HP OfficeJet's printer firmware translates the RGB colors to CMYK inks. On media types plain paper and matte inkjet papers, black ink is used. On glossy print media the printer seems to mix black from C+M+Y.

Most Canon & Epson printers are controlled by PrintFab in CMYK mode which offers better control over black usage, however you can get also quite good results with HP printers.
exploradorgt

Re: CMY only (No K) on OfficeJet Pro printers

Post by exploradorgt »

zedonet wrote: Mon Mar 23, 2020 11:40 am Hello,

the HP printers you mentioned (OfficedJet Pro 7740 and OfficeJet Pro 8100) can be controlled by the PrintFab drivers only in RGB mode, this is the reason why a "CMY" ink consumption is shown the PrintFab ink consumption display and no "UCR" setting is available.

The HP OfficeJet's printer firmware translates the RGB colors to CMYK inks. On media types plain paper and matte inkjet papers, black ink is used. On glossy print media the printer seems to mix black from C+M+Y.

Most Canon & Epson printers are controlled by PrintFab in CMYK mode which offers better control over black usage, however you can get also quite good results with HP printers.
Confirmed. I was testing some options and noticed sometimes K consumption ink was showed but minimal, I wasn't sure what allowed this now I know it's paper types, but still the impact is minimal. I will keep exploring, Thanks.