roll cut delay for HP Designjet 110plus n r

Questions on certain printers and applications
dglen

roll cut delay for HP Designjet 110plus n r

Post by dglen »

I have a roll paper printing problem on my HP Designjet 110plus nr.

The printer is connected via USB directly to a Mac G5. Printing, however, is via a Mac Pro located a short distance away. I had a little trouble with configuration. The best I could cobble together was a USB connection from the Mac Pro (the printing machine) to the G5 (G5 connected to the HP via USB). The best I could do is connect via Bonjour.

I have a PrintFab pro license (three users) so PrintFab is installed on the G5 and the Mac Pro. Print dialogs on both machines show controls for PrintFab's settings for the HP. Everything works fine with one major exception. That is, I can't queue multiple prints (one separate print after another) to the Mac Pro Print Queue without screwing up the print process.

The hangup is plain to see but the solution escapes me. What's happening is that, no matter what the setting, after printing, the HP flashes a "cut" prompt on it's LCD screen when printing using roll paper. The "cut" prompt occurs whether "roll with cut" or "roll without cut" is chosen in the PrintFab printer settings. The "cut" prompt flashes on the printer for three minutes (the print just sits there) and then the roll advances or cuts (per the PrintFab printer setting selection). Now, and only now, can I queue another print.

If I simply queue print after print without waiting for the three minute, after print, cut prompt delay, the printer will sit forever, stuck. If I go to the printer and manually push the "cut" button on the printer, the printer will, very consistantly, print about 1/4 in of the next print, stop printing (hang). If I push the "cut" button again to clear the print area, the printer will spit out a blank "tail" of paper the same length as the next print and then cut both. I get the following: a good print (not cut though) then 1/4 in of the next print, then a blank tail, then finally a cut and sometimes a printer hang.

I'm unable, due to the above, to simply "fire and forget" and queue up multiple prints. I have to wait about five to ten minutes between queueing up prints.

Any thoughts?

best

dglen