EPSON 2650 Borderless

ThingWizard

EPSON 2650 Borderless

Post by ThingWizard »

Would it be possible for printfab to enable borderless printing on the EPSON EcoTank 2650? Epson's drivers do not support this on this model, but on the close sibling 2750. I believe there is no hardware reason why the 2650 could not print borderless. Does the driver talk deep enough with the firmware to enable this? Any thoughts?
zedonet
Site Admin

Re: EPSON 2650 Borderless

Post by zedonet »

Hello,

the Epson EcoTank ET-2650 printer is a sibling of the ET-2750 printer but doesn't have ink absorption areas that accept the ink at the paper edges. For this reason it is not advisable to print borderless, the area below the printhead would become ink stained and following pages would become stained as well.

Technically it would be possible to print top & bottom borderless with the ET-2650 printer. Left/right borderless is not possible because of printer firmware restrictions.
ThingWizard

Re: EPSON 2650 Borderless

Post by ThingWizard »

Thank you for this!

Interesting, ok so that means if it's possible to print borderless top/bottom, borderless left-right could be achieved with some tweaking of the paper loading extents and custom paper size(feeding it 3mm offset and adjusting the paper size +6 mm)

Is it possible to set zero top/bottom margins in the current printfab driver, or would this function need to be added?

I tried adding a 2750 driver on the 2650 port in printfab, and it works very well - unfortunately if I select borderless mode the print job gets cancelled immediately after spooling. Like the printer rejects it.

I looked at the firmware update files for the 2650 (there is a downloadable failsafe version at epson), and realized they are basically a zipped linux system and should be relatively easy to mod if one gets the hang of how it works.

I guess what I'm wishing for, as I bought the 2650 as a photo printer but then realized it could not do borderless prints, that Printfab would enable the possibility to do borderless printing as a "non supported feature" as in, unlock whatever is possible but tell the user that this is not recommended for this model.