Epson XP-6100 CD printing faded / desaturated colors

Questions on certain printers and applications
pablo

Epson XP-6100 CD printing faded / desaturated colors

Post by pablo »

I'm trying Turboprint (turboprint_2.50-1_amd64.deb) for printing CDs with GIMP on Ubuntu 20.04 with my Epson XP-6100, and the results are "faded" / "low quality like" / "desaturated" (both the blacks and the colors), while the documents are printed really perfect.

If I print the CD with "Media Type = Epson Premium Glossy" (or any other "Epson XXX YYY" media type) instead of the expected media types "CD / CD Verbatim Glossy" and I leave the rest of the options untouched (like "Page size = CD/DVD", etc etc) the printer do unfortunately print over the CD plastic tray, but the parts that are printed over the CD do look amazingly amazingly colorful.

Is there a way to print CDs with better quality so they don't look "faded" / "desaturated"?
pablo

Re: Epson XP-6100 CD printing faded / desaturated colors

Post by pablo »

If you want me to try any update to your code / settings, or if you do have a solution for this problem, I would love to know, my demo version do have a trial period until 11th March.

I paid my first turboprint license and became a registered user in 2014 ("Order 949903"), I have used it with four Canon PIXMA IP7250 with very good results, that is why I thought it would be a good idea to use the latest version of Turbopring with the new Epson XP-6100 I've just bought, maybe you are not giving full support for this particular printer?

Anyway, thanks in advance and keep the good work
zedonet
Site Admin

Post by zedonet »

Hello,

sorry for the late reply. The driver for the Canon PIXMA iP7250 has a dedicated TurboPrint color profile for CDs, the Epson XP-6100 driver uses the printer's built in color profile for CD printing which is probably not very good.

I'll send you an experimental printer driver that switches to the "Epson Premium Glossy" color profile instead.
pablo

Post by pablo »

Dear Florian, as I answered you the same day through email, I've tried what you have sent me, but it happens EXACTLY the same as if I do what I told in the second paragraph of my inial post (If I print the CD with "Media Type = Epson Premium Glossy" (or any other "Epson XXX YYY" media type) instead of the expected media types "CD / CD Verbatim Glossy" and I leave the rest of the options untouched (like "Page size = CD/DVD", etc etc) the printer do unfortunately print over the CD plastic tray, but the parts that are printed over the CD do look amazingly amazingly colorful.).

Although my demo license has expired, if you want me to try any update to your code / settings, or if you do have a solution for this problem, I would love to know.

thankyou in advance,
pablo
zedonet
Site Admin

Post by zedonet »

The media type CD/DVD activates a color profile in the XP-6100 printer that results in faded prints. Selecting a different media type causes the printer to print at the wrong position.

A possible solution is to use a different printer driver that doesn't use the printer's internal color profiles.
The following TurboPrint driver might also work with your XP-6100 printer:

Epson XP720 series

Feed back is welcome if you try this printer driver.
pablo

Post by pablo »

(sorry for the late answer, I thought I was going to receive some kind of notification by email if someone answered the forum, and I was not checking the forum itself)

IT WORKS, I have done a fast CD printing with the profile you've told me and it is PERFECT, if you want me to do more tests with other profiles or similar, just let me know

Right now, the fast CD printing looks PERFECT! A BIG THANK YOU!!!