black ink type and profile service

Questions on certain printers and applications
ramestica

black ink type and profile service

Post by ramestica »

Hi,

I have printed the ink limit and color chart for my specific paper and printer (have order numbers available already.)

How does the profiling process know that I'm printing with Photo Black ink? As opposed to Matte Black.

Or does the profiling process service never need to know what black ink type the profile is meant for?

Thanks,
Rodrigo
zedonet
Site Admin

Re: black ink type and profile service

Post by zedonet »

Hello Rodrigo,

for creating a profile entry in TurboPrint you select a base paper type (e.g. normal paper, glossy paper, transparency). This media setting determines what black ink is used. On "Normal paper" usually matte black is used, on glossy paper the photo black ink is chosen. (Pigmented matte black is not usable on specially coated papers).
ramestica

Re: black ink type and profile service

Post by ramestica »

Thanks for your prompt reply.

On the chart I printed it says:

Photo/5760dpi/5760dpi_gloss

That is, it is the probably the '_gloss' string what tells to the profiling process the ink I'm using.

I did post my question because the profile page for the Epson R2400 Premium Luster Paper, reports Matte Black. But my understanding is that one would normally use Photo Black on a luster-type paper like that. Hence my doubt about how to inform the profiling process what type of black ink to assume; which was now clarified with your reply.