Canon TS9550 and screen printing

scoffer

Canon TS9550 and screen printing

Post by scoffer »

Hi.
A new forum member here :) Got a difficult problem, hoping somebody giving good advice.

Long story short
My Epson R1800 broke and had to get fast new A3 printer to create screen printing stencils. While waiting for the new printer I printed with Epson SX218 (A4 printer). Both epsons did good job and the printout was dark enough to let me exposure my screens for 60 seconds. That was more than enough.

Okay so I ordered a Canon TS9550 because a) there wasn't many A3 printers available and b) it was supported by Printfab c) it was somewhere recommended for screen printing.
Been printing whole day with different settings and I just don't get good enough results. With epson I had 200% at screen ink saturation. With canon I've tried 200, 300 and 400%. With drop size of 1 and 2. The printout has tiny holes everythere, looks almost like if printed directly to fabric. I'll try to get a photo of it attached. I get those holes away if I disable halftones from printer settings but even then, UV blocking is terribly bad. Epson let me expose screens for 60 seconds, on Canon I could expose only for 18 seconds until I start to loose details. And that's just not enough, the emulsion would need more time to keep the details while washing it out.

My current setup is single black, would all black make it darker or just use same amount of ink with multiple heads?
Is there anything else I could do on settings? I'm getting UV blocking ink but it takes over a month to get. Might even manage to get better printer before the ink :P
scoffer

Re: Canon TS9550 and screen printing

Post by scoffer »

Some more testing. Halftone option disabled and "1200 dpi super" quality print with grey photo mode. Can exposure now 27 seconds. Still far from enough :(
zedonet
Site Admin

Re: Canon TS9550 and screen printing

Post by zedonet »

Hello,

only older Canon printers can be recommended for screen printing. The reason is that older Canon printers that were introduced up to approx. 2018 allow direct control of each ink cartridge, allowing to apply more ink. Newer models are controlled in "RGB mode", the printer firmware controls and limits how much of the C, M, Y and K inks is actually applied.

You may be able to achieve longer exposure times by

- selecting "Plain paper" in the driver settings to switch to "Pigmented Black" instead of "Photo Black" which blocks UV better
- filling the cartridges with special "UV ink" that blocks UV light even better

The following Canon models can be recommended:

Canon PIXMA iX6800 series (iX6810 / iX6820 / iX6850)
Canon PIXMA Pro-100 / 100S

There is a larger choice of Epson printers like

Epson WorkForce WF-7210 / WF-7710 / WF-7720
Epson EcoTank ET-14000 / ET-15000 / ET-16500
Epson XP-15000 series

there is a complete list at

https://www.zedonet.com/en_support_silkscreen.phtml